Where is the cargo ramp at KSTS?

B77X

From what I can find about the real KSTS airport, everything is handled by Kaiser Air or Sonoma Jet Services.  I see no indication that FedEx flies there.

Westair flies FedEx feeder flights, and Martinaire and Ameriflight also serve the airport depending on if they have UPS/DHL contracts.

Here ya go:  http://wikimapia.org/18767703/Federal-Express-Base-FEDEX

Without looking right now, I don't know if that is included in the FTX KSTS airport package (probably is).  But you would probably need to update any AFCAD parking spots there if some of them weren't specifically coded for FedEx. 

And yes, I thought Bruce's reply was a tad tacky too.  Nothing personal against him, but any "I could care less" reply is not a helpful answer to any question.  If I had done that as an Instructor and Teacher in my life, I would have gotten fired and in the case of my teaching in the military, sent to prison.  ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2015, 2:35:15, FalconAF said:

Here ya go:  http://wikimapia.org/18767703/Federal-Express-Base-FEDEX

Without looking right now, I don't know if that is included in the FTX KSTS airport package (probably is).  But you would probably need to update any AFCAD parking spots there if some of them weren't specifically coded for FedEx. 

And yes, I thought Bruce's reply was a tad tacky too.  Nothing personal against him, but any "I could care less" reply is not a helpful answer to any question.  If I had done that as an Instructor and Teacher in my life, I would have gotten fired and in the case of my teaching in the military, sent to prison.  ;-)

Thank you that is a great link. I will add the spots, maybe Orbx can add them in a future update to KSTS

FWIW, I'm not sure if the link I gave you is showing accurate information about the FedEx location.  If you use Google Earth Pro and zoom in on KSTS, the location in the link looks like a GA hanger area, with no "ramp" or "loading" area.  There is a road that leads south of the area to a building complex, but I'm not sure what that building is.  Doesn't LOOK like it would be a FedEx processing area, but who knows? (EDIT:  It's a winery.  Clicking on the map picture labels it).  The KSTS airport chart on AirNav doesn't show a specific "cargo area" anywhere on the chart.  But where FedEx uses the Cessna Caravan at smaller feeder airports, a lot of times there is no FedEx facility at the airport itself, and a FedEx ground vehicle (van, etc) just brings the packages to the airport to meet the pilot, load the aircraft, then the van leaves to wherever the processing facility is located.  Reverse it for arrivals of the aircraft.  The Caravan is just tied down at the airport before it's next departure.  Maybe the location shown on the KSTS link is where the Caravan is tied down between flights.

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1512/00696AD.PDF  

As always, take any "information" found on the Internet with a grain of salt until proven otherwise.

3 hours ago, FalconAF said:

FWIW, I'm not sure if the link I gave you is showing accurate information about the FedEx location.  If you use Google Earth Pro and zoom in on KSTS, the location in the link looks like a GA hanger area, with no "ramp" or "loading" area.  There is a road that leads south of the area to a building complex, but I'm not sure what that building is.  Doesn't LOOK like it would be a FedEx processing area, but who knows? (EDIT:  It's a winery.  Clicking on the map picture labels it).  The KSTS airport chart on AirNav doesn't show a specific "cargo area" anywhere on the chart.  But where FedEx uses the Cessna Caravan at smaller feeder airports, a lot of times there is no FedEx facility at the airport itself, and a FedEx ground vehicle (van, etc) just brings the packages to the airport to meet the pilot, load the aircraft, then the van leaves to wherever the processing facility is located.  Reverse it for arrivals of the aircraft.  The Caravan is just tied down at the airport before it's next departure.  Maybe the location shown on the KSTS link is where the Caravan is tied down between flights.

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1512/00696AD.PDF  

As always, take any "information" found on the Internet with a grain of salt until proven otherwise.

I zoomed in to the red box on your map link, and on the top left you can see 2 small parking spots. I assume this is where the Caravans park.

I wondered the same thing when I edited the ADE for the NCA version of KSTS. Needing a place for my AI Westair, Martinaire and Ameriflight flights to park I created some spots at the FBO's, it's just a more likely place for them to park.

And feeder or not, a Caravan in the FedEx livery operating for FedEx is still a FedEx flight.

Ah, OK...understand now.  Yes, the Caravans are owned (leased actually) by companies other than FedEx who have contracts with FedEx to do the feeder flights.  The Caravans are painted in the FedEx colors.  But usually ATC will use a callsign designated to the actual company that is conducting the flights, not a FedEx callsign.  In Nevada the company is WestAir Industries, and the ATC callsign is "Pac Valley" for the Caravan flights between Cedar City, UT (KCDC) and Las Vegas (KLAS).  The flight numbers use the designator "PCM" in front of the assigned flight number, like PCM8706 shown in FlightAware for the FedEx Caravan flights.  They might still be FedEx flights "for" FedEx purposes, but they are treated by ATC differently. 

That may be why Bruce was confused and stated no FedEx flights exist at KSTS (whether he "cares less about who flies feeder flights" or not).  There would be no listing in FlightAware, AirNav, or maybe even the KSTS airport information for any "FedEx flights" taking place at KSTS, even though there is definitely a "cargo feeder service" FOR FedEx operating there by someone other than Kaiser or SJS.

Archived