Texture problems after installing Tasmania Demo

Bert Pieke

I have most of the NA regions, Scotland, Global installed and all was well, until I installed the Tasmania demo today along with YMLT.

I now have trees on runways and in in the ocean, and texture tile corruption all over the world.

Even my home airport of Nanaimo has weird road texture patterns where there used to be grass..

After installing Tasmania, an older copy of Central popped up and asked me to apply  Australia, which I did.

Could that be part of the problem?

I have tried to apply NA or just Global in Central V2 to get my textures back, but no change..

I have tried to remove Tasmania

Help, please!

Progress report... the terrain.cfg file appears to be the culprit..

After removing all traces of Tasmania (there is no uninstaller  ??? )

and after finding a 2014 terrain.cfg copy in an FSX backup,

things are beginning to look a bit better.

Maybe Orbx should withdraw the Tasmania demo or at least warn users not to

install it over ANY previous FTX scenery  8)

Hi Bert,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. There's a post in the FAQ subforum for how to re-set a corrupted terrain.cfg: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/79004-resolving-rapid-ground-texture-morphing/

Using a backup of terrain.cfg will work just as well assuming that your add-on constellation (at least those requiring custom terrain.cfg entries) hasn't changed; the Orbx entries are checked and corrected each time you run FTX Central v2.

Updated installers for the demos are on the drawing board. We're not sure how or why, on some user systems, older installers "break" the terrain.cfg but the newer installers plus FTX Central v2 hopefully will make that a thing of the past soon.

Cheers, Holger

OK.. at least I am on the right path..

My backup terrain.cfg file did not contain the entries for Scotland or for Global

which I purchased in 2015.

It does have the other regions and FSAddon entries which I purchased earlier.

I have now Applied each region and back to Global.. and I believe the missing entries

have been added..

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Hi Bert,

not sure what you mean, specifically. AS far as I know Global Base doesn't add any entries of its own, it only changes the parameters of a few existing ones. EU Scotland uses the same ORBX FTX-GB custom entries; assuming you have one of the other GB regions installed you'd already have all those entries.

Cheers, Holger

Bert and Holger,

I'm in the same boat here, it looks like my terrain.cfg was corrupted by the Tasmania installer.  I'm in the process of rebuilding it now.

For the good of everyone, I would urge Orbx to consider withdrawing the Tasmania demo until the new installer Holger mentioned is available.  I'm fairly sure that needing to rebuild terrain.cfg after installation is not what Orbx intends!

Archived