My struggles with flight simming nirvana

Kilstorm

FSX/DX10...love it! Love how smooth it is and how all addons I use are made for it...but...with lack of good multi-monitor support and the OOMs and CTD I get using it has drove me to P3D.

P3Dv2.5 Love the multi-monitor support, less OOM's that FSX/DX10 cant offer as well as all the shadows, HDR, non auto gen pop among other things...but...its is not smooth and that does mean a lot when I go back to FSX/DX10 and do a few flights in that until I get the CTD due to open the menu bar too many times or whatever. Plus my B377 does not like to roll in it and thats a bummer because I still love the immersion of the COTS version.

Now P3Dv3 is announced and it will be interesting to see how it handles the smoothness as it seem the OOM will be somewhat addressed more and lessen to possible not getting them with modestly high settings and addons.

I plan on buying a new SSD for P3Dv3 as I've run out of space on my current one with having both FSX and P3D on it.  It nice that this is a new version as it will allow me to keep 2.5 until I'm ready to move completely over.  Plan on adding a new graphics card in there as well while I have the computer opened up.  However, if the B377 doesnt work still and the smoothness is still not there I will be looking at adding FSX:SE as well. One thing I need to check is if I can have FSX and FSX:SE on the same computer, different drives but same computer?  I also need to find out if :SE offers multi monitor support.

If given the chance, I would like to have just one platform I use but at the moment it seems like it might be found in a future version of :SE or v3 for me.

Sound like you have the heart of a true simmer. When Orbx puts out all the installers give v3 a 60 day try. V3 feels like a new sim. Not as smooth as Dx10 but runs well. I run my monitor at 30hz and try to keep fps around 30. It's smooth with some stutters but overall

I like v3 more than FSX.

Yeah I added v3 to my rig a couple of days ago and was happy to find the B377 runs and with the handful of addons added and tested, feel the worry of OOM are a thing of the past for me. Not as smooth as FSX/DX10 but if thats the trade off, Im good with that. Once all the installers and addons I use are v3 ready, I will be a one platform guy finally. I'll completely remove v2.5 for SDD space and keep FSX just so that certain addons designed to work for FSX can still work right in v3.

People 'CAN' have eye candy using very high settings over multi monitor in FSX whilst using REX, PMDG & Orbx etc!!!

It CAN be done OOM free even with AI traffic high!!!

Use two high powered PC's and WidevieW - PMDG on server with low graphic settings 100% UT2, FS Global Real WX. On Client PC install ORBX & REX, span over 3 monitors (one open view) and use the default C172 on 2d panel mode, switching panel off so you see rain drops.

Fly the Aircraft from the server inside the VC nicely zoomed in so you can see it all clearly.

Now you have 8g VAS limit!!!

Archived