Forgive me Father ...

Bandit

.. for I have shopped!  :o

Bought an E8500 Intel CPU and a 896Mb Gigabyte GTX275 graphics card. Wonder how much of a differnce it will make to FSX from the Q6600 and the 512MB 8800 GTS on my Striker Extreme motherboard?  (Yes I know its a Pcie 1.x board)

You are not forgiven my son why not stick with a Quad core lol, let us know how the GTX275 goes I have had my sites on this video card for a while would like to see how it performs in FSX.

First a bit of logic behind the purchases:

I know FSX is CPU dependent so went for the fastest CPU my motherboard could handle (Intel E8500). As for the graphics cards the Gigabyte (GV-N275UD-896H) GTX275 is coming affordable at AUD$365 and from what I read there isnt much marked improvement in a 285 and the 295 is too expensive.

As for the performance in FSX well I can max out about every setting in FSX now and my frame rates sits at about 22fps with drops every now and then to 15fps when over populated areas like YSSY and at night.

Settings are -

Graphics: 1680x1050x32 Anisotropic + AA and all items maxed\ticked ecept light bloom

Aircraft: All items ticked

Scenery: Everything maxed except Mesh resolution (5m) Texture resolution (30cm), Water effect (Mid 2.x) and Autogen density (Dense)

Weather: Clouse draw (70mi), Thermal Vis (None), Cloud details (detailed - Medium density)

Traffic: Airline (20%), GA (20%), Vehicles (3%), Ships (2%), Leisure boats (10%)

I do notice that it takes the scenery a while to come into focus - usually in the tile just as the aircraft passes overhead. This happened with the previous Grahics card & CPU so I guess thats due to somethng else (any ideas?). Maybe I need a faster HDD?

$365 for a GTX275. I have a Q6600 clocked at 3.6 and a 8800ultra. Do you think it would be a worth while upgrade, getting a GTX275. Might be something I could stretch the budget to.  :-\

First a bit of logic behind the purchases:

I know FSX is CPU dependent so went for the fastest CPU my motherboard could handle (Intel E8500). As for the graphics cards the Gigabyte (GV-N275UD-896H) GTX275 is coming affordable at AUD$365 and from what I read there isnt much marked improvement in a 285 and the 295 is too expensive.

As for the performance in FSX well I can max out about every setting in FSX now and my frame rates sits at about 22fps with drops every now and then to 15fps when over populated areas like YSSY and at night.

Settings are -

Graphics: 1680x1050x32 Anisotropic + AA and all items maxed\ticked ecept light bloom

Aircraft: All items ticked

Scenery: Everything maxed except Mesh resolution (5m) Texture resolution (30cm), Water effect (Mid 2.x) and Autogen density (Dense)

Weather: Clouse draw (70mi), Thermal Vis (None), Cloud details (detailed - Medium density)

Traffic: Airline (20%), GA (20%), Vehicles (3%), Ships (2%), Leisure boats (10%)

I do notice that it takes the scenery a while to come into focus - usually in the tile just as the aircraft passes overhead. This happened with the previous Grahics card & CPU so I guess thats due to somethng else (any ideas?). Maybe I need a faster HDD?

Looks good Bandit seems the Video card has given you a nice boost, my scenery for FTX takes a bit to come into focus too but not long. I have FSX installed on a 10K RPM drive but as I was saying the focus doesnt really take long at all but is there on mine too.

Archived