I need some guruness, Please any help!

AdamC

Hi guru's

I went out and bought a Radeon 1650 pro, 512mb DDR2 AGP card thinking it would work with my current motheboard. But after unplugging the old video card and trying this one, for some strange reason it doesn't even let windows boot up. All i get on my two screens is the on/off button flashing.

Ok next thing i tried was one screen, nope still nothing. I then plugged my old card back in an AGP 256mb Radeon (not sure if it's DDR or DDR2) and everything worked fine.

Where am i going wrong? Is there any thing else that could be tried to get the card working?

or option number 3 is the card just not compatible with my current motherboard (D865GSA). ( i'm pointing toward this option)

Please any help appreciated.

Cheers

Adam

Were there any molex adapters that needed power on the card?

I know if you don't add power to the NVIDIA ones, nothing happens.

Also make sure you have an adequate power supply to run the card. My card requires two molex connections and a 650 Watt power supply minimum!

Frank

Were there any molex adapters that needed power on the card?

I know if you don't add power to the NVIDIA ones, nothing happens.

Also make sure you have an adequate power supply to run the card. My card requires two molex connections and a 650 Watt power supply minimum!

Frank

Good point Frank.  Adam, if you're not sure what a molex connector is, check out:

http://www.geeks.com/techtips/ttpdfs/Geeks.com_Tech-Tip%2077%20-%20Installing%20a%20Graphics%20Card.pdf (page 3)

So you have a picture before it gets to the Windows loading screen?

Good point Frank, however this card does not have the connectors for extra power. The video card should be compatibale with the motheboard you listed. A decent 350W PSU would be the minimum required.

well thank you very much gentlemen.

My problem is now fixed.

(enter stupid caveman voice here) Me to dumb to work out it need power!

stupid me forgot to check the whole card and apply power. Yes you were all correct in saying that it had an external power outlet.

Thank you very much guys once again this forum and people here have outdone themselves.

Cheers

Adam

Don't feel silly, mate.

Been there, done that and will probably do it again.

That's whats so great about this forum.

It's becoming a powerhouse of tech knowledge and info that becomes indesposable for FSX/FTX.

Glad to contribute.

Frank

Archived