Move ALL FSX and Airports to New Computer

hkterry

I have purchased a new computer and want an easy way to move all my FSX and airports files to the new harddisk. I installed all FSX and airports files in one folder namely Flight Simulator X. Can I remove this folder to the new harddisk of my new computer and run it as my folder now has 350 GB.  Could anyone kindly advise, please.

Cheers

Terry

If your operating system and your sim is on the same drive now, you could make a backup of the disk with Paragon or Acronis or any other backup software and transfer it to your new drive just follow the instructions for the sofware.

E.g you can go from a 250 gig to a 1tb disc, you do have to have your OS in the backup due to payware maybe using the registry to store things.

If you just reinstall a new OS some of your payware will come up with errors if you just transfer the FSX folder and you may have to reinstall them which defeats the object.

My system at the moment is 4 120 ssd disks , win7 on one, fsx on 2, p3d on 3, other fly sims on 4 - this way I make seperate backups of each disk and can restore them separately if not done anything drastic with sim updates. Just the way I did it but in process of changing to 2 drives.

Denis B

Well Terry

Is not that easy. As you probably have a new OS on your new computer, the registry entries from the old computer will be missing and you will not be able to even start the sim as the OS doesn´t know where it is installed. Also some add-ons put entries in your Appdata folders and they will also be missing. Also if you have P3D you MUST uninstall it from the old PC and reinstall it on your new and that might require reinstalling most or your add-ons.

Guess cloning is the best way to do it, but on the other hand I recommend a reinstallation of everything to "clean up" your FS, I usually do that once a year.

Jack

I recommend a reinstallation of everything to "clean up" your FS, 

Terry

I couldn't agree more. Cutting corners is a good recipe for glitches and snags and not simming for a longer time that it takes you to reinstall . A progressive reinstall over a couple of weeks....or months  is actually not such a big deal. You install something, play with it, install another one, play etc. till everything is up For all my sins, I had to do it with version 2.5. of P3D. Be sure that you have the newest installers. To get something really new, don't install your older versions and patches.

my two € cents...

Archived