KEGE - selectively removing static aircraft

Dave_YVR

Amazing job with KEGE.. It really is simply stunning!

My question however, is would there be any way as in previous sceneries to let us have an option to remove static aircraft individually?  It seems as though they are now placed in set groups, you remove one you remove them all. Personally, I'd love to be able to keep some of the Bizjets and GA or move them to where I'd like them as I've done with most of your other releases. Over on the Military side as well, I'd like to keep the Chinooks but remove the UH60's as there is an awesome new AI version available. The military cargo machine looks like some odd hybrid, a modernized Caribou of some sort?

G'day Dave

Thank you for the nice feedback on Eagle County - glad you are enjoying it!

Unfortunately you come across one of the optimisation techniques I have implemented at the airport. When you say "have the option to remove static aircraft individually", I presume you mean by editing the placements using IS or similar (as I'm not aware of any of our control panels that allow individual aircraft to be added/removed)? If so, that is indeed correct - many statics come from our communal ORBXlibs, which means that they are placed individually within the scenery, however I have not used that method in this instance. As all the aircraft at KEGE are custom (even the couple of "regulars" you will find hidden in the far corners of the airport have some kind of customisation compared to their communal counterparts), it gives me the opportunity to cluster them into larger communal models. This gives a few extra performance points to the scenery - whilst only a small fps increase, every little bit counts! As such, the models are broken down only by their appropriate control panel option; Airliners (Winter Schedule), Airliners (All-Year Schedule), Military, GA, Corporate (Main) and Corporate (Secondary). From a purely performance standpoint, it would be ideal to have the entire airport as one giant model (including aircraft, vehicles, GSE, vegetation etc) however I realise that many people like to customise their layouts for performance and asthetic reasons, so I do break the 3D content down based on the control panel options. Unfortunately breaking it down further again into individual aircraft placements isn't possible - sorry I can't be of help with that :) If you have some of my other recent releases, KSEZ uses the same method and KPSP uses a hybrid method (some individual, some groups). 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Thanks for the detailed response Jarrad, much appreciated and understood.  I use ADE to add the scenery objects in the previous releases and customize the placement of the statics and make the most out of available apron space for custom AI to populate the airports.

Thanks again for another gorgeous airport!

Yes, Thanks Jarrad for the detailed response.  I'm more like Dave in that I rearrange your great sceneries using IS.  I have a lot of AI and prefer to have 'some' of your statics but not all of them.  I was able to do this with KJAC after looking at Google Earth and how KJAC parks their GA including Bizz jets. 

HOWEVER: after looking at KEGE on Google Earth I noticed your statics are very well placed and that I didn't need to change much!  So, thank you for that. 

I will add, I do like your individual statics for the same reason that Dave mentioned.  Plus, I can use some of the statics from one airport and place them at another.  But, I understand for performance purposes you prefer to 'clump' statics.

THANKS  for a GREAT airport.

One more thing!  JARRAD, have you considered doing Medford Airport in southern OR?

Matthew  

No worries at all guys,

I always use some form of aerial imagery as reference to work out the placements of my statics in order to keep them accurate, in the case of KEGE I used Google Earth for reference as it demonstrated the busier winter-season ramp that I was aiming for. Some airports I have done (KJAC and KMRY in particular) make drastic changes to their parking ramps (particularly in the busier corporate/GA areas) depending on time of year, hence why they may not line up with publicly viewable sources such as Google Earth, Bing Maps etc. 

have you considered doing Medford Airport in southern OR?

I very seriously considered doing Medford early last year (as a complementary project to Redding), however unfortunately it's not on my radar at the moment or for the foreseeable future.

The military cargo machine looks like some odd hybrid, a modernized Caribou of some sort?

It is indeed - a modernized Turbo Caribou with PT6 engines. I think all Australian aviation enthusiasts have a place in our hearts for the Caribou - it was a beast-of-burden workhorse in the RAAF for almost 50 years - so when Alex took a picture of the modernized version at KEGE, I knew I had to make one :)

Caribou.jpg

Cheers,

Jarrad

Archived