Trying to unpackage onto the wrong Disk

Mark Grinyer

Hi

I have just done a complete uninstall of FSX and FSX-SE to reinstall FSX-SE without compatibility mode (FSX is now showing in my steam folder as FSX rather than FSX-SE)

Orbx is the first program I am trying to install onto this new installation. When I run Base app (130) it says I do not have enough space to unwrap and is unable to continue. 

The Number suggests it is trying to unwrap on my C drive (windows OS), but everything other than windows is on my Z drive (partition). There is only one steam file on there which is railworks and nothing Flight sim related on there.

Is there any way of changing the disc it is trying to unwrap on to to my Z drive?

I have all my other Orbx files in the same sub folder on my Z drive (split up into separate product files) 

Many Thanks

Mark

Welcome.

Firstly, a simple registry edit of one value will make FSX Steam stop running

in Co-existence mode.

Secondly, I believe the unwrapper uses your Windows temp file to unwrap,

so the only way to change that the way you want to, is to move it off your C drive.

If you need help with either, please ask.

Hi Nick

I have moved the folder over to my Z drive, but to remove it completely it says I need admin rights (Despite being the only user and admin already).

I have tried again with the majority of the folder moved and its still saying I don't have space

Space Required: 4633560kb

Space available: 1430768kb 

c: space available: 1.36GB of 58.4GB

z: Space available 1.18TV of 1.76TB

I was told by another support team for another product that to resolve conflict issues with their product I would have to completely uninstall FSX and FSX-SE, run a registry file then re-install everything which is why I have done it

Many Thanks

Mark

Probably you need to amend you User Account Control setting to "Never notify".

Try this and then see if it will let you reset the temp folder to another drive.

You are doing this via the

Windows Control panel\System\Advanced System Settings\Environment Variables?

If your C drive is an SSD (?) it will be struggling to work properly with as little free

space as that.

You might be well advised to clear it out a bit in any case.

Have you tried the "Disc clean up" and "Clean up system files" in Windows File

Explorer\Properties?

Here is the simple registry fix, it makes FSX Steam use the same file structure as FSX,

so it cannot be used if they are both on the same PC unless for some reason all the same settings

and files were in use.

In that case, one would have to wonder why two virtually identical sims would be needed, unless

for testing and evaluation.

Use your Registry Editor to go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition

where you will see a Registry Key named Co-existence.

You will see that its value is 1.

Right click on modify and change this to 0.

You can then go to

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\

C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\

C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\

and in each case delete the FSX-SE folder.

If you see an FSX folder, delete that also.

Then restart FSX-SE and new folders named FSX will be created.

Once you have done this, the file structure should match what

the installers expect to find for FSX and work correctly.

Credit for this to Steve Waite at the Avsim forum.

I have tried it and it works for me exactly as I have written.

As I have both versions on my PC, I have also found that

the process is entirely reversible.

Hi

I've stopped trying to fix it for the night as I was getting frustrated with the way windows works.

I did have the boxed edition of FSX from before FSX-SE came out, but had been using SE ever since.

To remove the conflict with another add on I removed everything relating to FSX BE and SE and reinstalled SE which is when I came across this issue with installing Orbx

I have also used disc clean up but its only cleared 100mb of C drive, which is a partition of an SDD as is Z drive (the same one). I have tried to increase the size of C drive using the windows tool but it won't allow me to even when I have reduced the size of Z drive. Problem I have is I'm not sure what is essential for windoes to operate and what I can get away with deleting. 

I have also changed my permissions to never notify me but still can't remove the temp windows file, it still says I require permissions

I did notice in the system varibles there was a directory for appdata/orbx. This was originally assigned to C drive but I have moved it to Z drive but still get the not enough space message

Hi Nick

I have followed the advice on the regedit. I now have to folders view-able in regedit, 

"Flight simulator" with two 'files' - Default/ Reg_SZ /value not set

Apppath/ Reg_ZC/Z:\Program Files\steam\steamapps\common\fsx....

and

"Flight Simulator Steam edition" with 6 files - Default/ Reg_SZ /value not set

Co-existence/REG_DWORD/0x00000000 (0)

First Time/REG_DWORD/0x00000000 (0)

Language/REG_SZ/ENU

Simconnect_po/REG_SZ/0

Simconnect_po/REG_SZ/0

Then in a sub folder called "10.0) i have to files - Default/ Reg_SZ /value not set

Apppath/ Reg_ZC/Z:\Program Files\steam\steamapps\common\fsx....

As for the environment Variables, I'm not 100% sure what you mean. I have gone through the control panel/system and security and changed it there to never notify (I'm on windows 7).

Sorry if this means nothing to helping me find a solution but as I'm not sure what I'm doing I've giving you everything

Many Thanks

Mark

Here you are.

2.jpg

Set the temp and tmp to your Z drive, ie change it to Z:\Temp

1ed385.jpg

Registry editor.

3.jpg

Right click on the Co-Existence key and you will see this

41dbb9.jpg

Select Modify and you will see this, change the value from 1 to 0

and click on OK.

5.jpg

Hi Nick

I've done it. Changing the temp folder on the system variables worked (rather than user - Decided as I'm the only user what harm could it do to experiment lol) 

THANK YOU for all your help and patience

Is co-existance mode 1 or 0 in the regedit binary, as I only want standalone mode for FSX-SE

Thank you again for all your help

Archived