openLC_EU coverage, exactly?

Hello,

I am just wondering what is the exact coverage of OpenLC Europe in its specific regions.

When you say "UK&Ireland" (EU10), is OpenLC covering all of it? Even small islands in the north of Scotland?

Does OpenLC_EU covers the same areas covered in FTX Terrain Scotland, for example?

I know FTX Terrains already have their own Land Class, so they don't need OpenLC, really (and I think FTX Central will not install OpenLC when I select Europe, but only if I select Global, is it correct?), but I am just wondering in terms of coverage if the two are 100% comparable.

many thanks!

Yes, I had seen that map, but I guess I was asking the ORBX team about something a bit more precise.

For example, do you guys know what the red and green stand for in those map?

These maps are very small and with very poor resolution, so I guess I am asking for more details, if possible.

A good starting question is the one I posed in my starting post:

"Does OpenLC_EU covers [in Scotland] the same areas covered in FTX Terrain Scotland, for example?"

Thanks

Hi kermit_70,

it sound like you're asking whether the coverage of openLC within a given country, like Scotland, is complete. If so the answer is, yes. Landclass textures are placed in the simulator through a 1.2km x 1.2km raster grid and both the FTX regions and openLC cover 100% of those raster cells within their respective coverage areas. The difference to the FTX regions is that landclass is only one of many features they contain and also that more manual, fine-scale adjustments have been made to the landclass layer. That's why the openLC scenery entries are below the FTX region's entries in the scenery library (meaning at lower display priority) and add nothing to the overlapping FTX regions. 

OpenLC Europe will remain active in the scenery library with FTX Central set to Europe, which allows users to fly our of a European FTX region into the openLC coverage area without the need to switch FTXCentral.

Cheers, Holger

Thank you for the detailed answer, Holger.

One follow-up question, though: are you saying that if I am planning to fly from and out of a FTX Terrain (say, England to France) in Europe it is preferable to keep FTX_Central on Europe (as opposed to Global/hybrid), while if I am flying from PNW to Mexico I should put Global/Hybrid simply because Mexico is not covered by OpenLC?

In other words, if a region is covered by OpenLC but not FTX Terrain, it is still better to keep FTX_Central on Europe/NA/etc rather then switching to Global?

I am now a bit confused on what the "Hybrid mode" is, now...

If you could please clarify, that would be great.

Thanks!

Archived