Should I install Europe - is there a big VAS, FPS hit?

NeilG

Dear All

This is basically a re-post of something I have lodged elsewhere. I have reposted because I don't think I phrased the title properly before, posted it in the wrong place and think that this is why I got no response. Hoping for one this time.

I am looking for some advice please. I have tried to keep my sober head on this time with new rig and fresh installs.  I have set up the following configurations.

1.) I have my low and slows with FSXSE, with Global, Europe, regions and have left out my vector and many airfeilds/ports. I finally made the decision that the point of flight simulation for me was to simulate flying aircraft, learning how to and so on, and in the most accurate way possible. This meant, I considered, that I needed a good, smooth frame rate  - nor scrambling on the edges of acceptable FPS. After much heart searching, for me this meant that I would have to sacrifice vector and airports etc (put some on, left some off - all to try not to exceed VAS limits, OOM etc).

2.) the second set-up is for my heavy metal, PMDG etc, and this has been installed with P3D. I have added ONLY FTX Global, Vector with Pilot FS mesh  here. 

Now, I am getting good frames with these set ups and I am reasonably happy now. I have accepted that putting everything on may have to wait for a new, maybe 64bit application and so on. My question is this: I was wondering whether to add Open LC Europe to my P3D set up. My question is to anyone who has maybe done this is, if I install Europe is this going to ruin it all by giving me VAS problems, OOM's etc. Is this is going to defeat my purposes by adding a significant enough performance hit. I could, of course, 'suck it and see'. But I would like to know what others thought.

Thanks all

Neil

Adding OpenLC won't improve VAS and/or performance, that's for sure. I personally don't have it installed anymore (using P3D only here) but I have to add I really only fly in FTX regions so I don't really need it either. The hit on performance also depends on where you fly, so I noticed (when I had it still installed). In some areas (like around EHAM) performance would drop considerably and things didn't look to pretty either, mainly due (I think) to all those little waters over there. After flying around Global with OpenLC for a while I came to the (very personal and subjective) conclusion I like the FTX regions far more (and I mean FAR MORE) so I simply stick to those. I am a low and slow flyer though, so that helps: I've been flying in FTX Norway ONLY since it has been released. When you mainly fly heavies those regions may become a bit too small quickly.

I seriously doubt that a landclass will give you any kind of trouble in FPS or VAS. Global does not have a huge impact on things, and complex sceneries like airports by well known developers add like 300,000K, or less than 1/12th total VAS available in a 64 bit OS system at least in FSX. A PMDG 737 or 777 aircraft is something like 800,000K. If you have an OOM problem, which is directly related to VAS, it will be because of an accumulation of goodies.

Downloiad ProcessExplorer.exe for free, monitor VAS usage with the most complex scenario you can dig up with your setup and see where you stand. Anything below 3.5GB and you will be just fine.

Vector on the other hand does have an impact on FPS and I have to switch it off at demanding airports like LatinVFR Miami. Again, not a problem of one or another, just a sum of all together.

Adding OpenLC won't improve VAS and/or performance, that's for sure. I personally don't have it installed anymore (using P3D only here) but I have to add I really only fly in FTX regions so I don't really need it either. The hit on performance also depends on where you fly, so I noticed (when I had it still installed). In some areas (like around EHAM) performance would drop considerably and things didn't look to pretty either, mainly due (I think) to all those little waters over there. After flying around Global with OpenLC for a while I came to the (very personal and subjective) conclusion I like the FTX regions far more (and I mean FAR MORE) so I simply stick to those. I am a low and slow flyer though, so that helps: I've been flying in FTX Norway ONLY since it has been released. When you mainly fly heavies those regions may become a bit too small quickly.

Since I can't edit my post anymore: IGNORE WHAT I SAID! I apparently had a blackout and mistook OpenLC for Vector... MY BAD! All I said had to do with Vector and NOT OpenLC. OpenLC can indeed be installed without having to worry about OOM and VAS... Sorry for the confusion!

Archived