Molokini

Hiya,

I took a flight to see for myself, and I have it missing too.  There's a cluster of boats in what would be the bay.

2015-7-11_9-47-17-809.th.jpg 2015-7-11_9-52-31-940.th.jpg

Interestingly, the Google Earth image shows it submerged, so I guess the faulty elevation is part of a common dataset.  Maybe it's time to try out the P3D submersible...

GEMolokini.th.jpg

I don't think you're being ignored BTW - this section may appear slow but queries are dealt with in batches.

Interestingly, the Google Earth image shows it submerged, so I guess the faulty elevation is part of a common dataset.  Maybe it's time to try out the P3D submersible...

My Google Earth shows it well above water as it should be  ;) ! And it is indeed a shame not to have Molikini in the sim as it is truly part of a Kahului landing (with the sugar mill...).

My Google Earth shows it well above water as it should be  ;) ! And it is indeed a shame not to have Molikini in the sim as it is truly part of a Kahului landing (with the sugar mill...).

Goodness! Do you have "Water Surface" ticked in GE?

Whatever GE server is feeding me data puts it firmly on the sea bed at an "altitude" of about -380 ft! :blink:

GEMolokini03.th.jpg GEMolokini02.th.jpg

If you move the mouse pointer over the island, what elevation does it say?

Edit:

Another suggestion; in the left pane, turn on "More->Parks/Recreation Areas"  This will (maybe) show the park boundary at the correct elevation.

wow fellas interesting research

I only missed it when I re did the mission Hawaii check out and the instructor has you fly to an actual waypoint above Molokini and because its a way point I mentioned it.

yes it was in the default set up. I think the elevation was left out of the vector data because the photo scenery link I posted when installed only makes the island flat at sea level with the photo overlay.

too bad there is not a way to use the original msfs data for this island only to get it back.

From the link by lthendrix in post #4, Photoreal Hawaii scenery for most of the islands looks very good in FSX.  Here is a screenshot of Molokini from above.  As you can see it is the top of a volcanic crater as noted in Google Maps.

GCS_146.jpg

yes it was in the default set up. I think the elevation was left out of the vector data because the photo scenery link I posted when installed only makes the island flat at sea level with the photo overlay.

too bad there is not a way to use the original msfs data for this island only to get it back.

Vector data is shorelines not mesh.

if there is not mesh in vector product why is the airport  elevation configuration needed.

and  the island was a 3d object in default fsx so what am I missing except the obvious? 

Are you using any addon mesh?  I have Pilot's 2010 FTX, so I was assuming that's where the issue lies with me.  I've not tried without it.

Vector corrects elevations for default airports, and that means they're sometimes out of synch with a more accurate addon mesh (including that in full-fat regions) - that's why AEC is useful.  I'm not aware it should make any difference for an island like Molokini where there is no airfield.

Archived