Goroka and pine trees [PNG]

lthendrix

Hi all, I was wondering , and did some searches online , but should there be pine trees in Goroka PNG.

I was thinking maybe something is wrong.   And then I wondered if  FSX generates those types of trees

based on altitude.

Can any one with more knowledge comment on this

Hi,

While it may seem strange to see some pines here, there are indeed pine trees in PNG, for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucaria_hunsteiniiand  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucaria_cunninghamii

For those that find this stuff interesting I'll elaborate a little......

Above 11000ft the mountains are covered with a type of alpine woodland that is very much like the tundra in North America, with tussock grasses, low shrubs, tree ferns, southern pine and native cedar types,

Between 11000ft and 6000ft the Montane forests are located, the landscape is similar to New Zealand or even Scotland, something quite unexpected on a Tropical Island!, here Conifers and Southern beach trees predominate with an under layer of large tree ferns and fungi

At around 3000ft mark are the lower Montane forests of which the Hoop and Klinki pines are the dominant species with some towering over 85m in height!

Down below 3000ft the valleys and lowlands that cover about 75% of PNG are primarily dense tropical rainforest and also around rivers...swampy woodlands emerge, at the western end of PNG around Port Moresby the landscape becomes more of a dryer savanna woodland similar to that of Northern Australia

How well FSX represents this outside of an FTX-regionpack is probably debatable, but the result from FTXglobal is very very convincing given the tight regional constraints Microsoft set.

Sorry to go 'full-botany' on you, but I love this stuff :)

Sorry to go 'full-botany' on you, but I love this stuff :)

Don't be sorry, your homework on this matter is much appreciated ! The botanic dimension of a scenery is essential to realism. The type of trees and bushes, their spatial organization, the color of leaves in various seasons is something that can make or break a scenery for me ! 

Archived