NCA navaid issue - marker beacons everwhere!

Nick M

Hello all,

I've just taken advantage of the last few days of the 37% off sale to purchase a few more terrain regions and airports.

All seems good, especially KJAC, and my SSD is now feeling rather overfed! :)  However, I do have an issue with the navdata for the Northern California region. Specifically, installing the region seems to have added an huge number of spurious inner, middle, outer and back course markers. To illustrate, here's a 'before' image: the FSX map of the San Francisco Bay area with recently updated ILS data (it looks much the same with default FSX navdata)...

before_FTX_NCA.png?dl=0

And here's an 'after' shot showing all the mysterious marker beacons which are included in the new FTX_NCA BGLs. As you can see, even small airports like Byron (C83) seem to have acquired a full set of beacons for each approach. The profusion of markers around bigger airports with multiple runways like KSFO and KSJC is very obvious. The same thing seem to have happened over all of the NCA region...

after_FTX_NCA.png?dl=0

I searched the forums before posting, but didn't come across any discussion of this problem. Just wondered if anybody else is experiencing the same thing? I installed NCA patch001 and this is on an FSX Acceleration installation. Oh, and my order number for FTX NA Gold NCA is FSS0386639.

Thanks,

Nick

P.S. I also had an issue with the ILS glideslope at KMRY but looks like there's a fix for that which I've downloaded - thanks! ^_^

Hi Jeff. Thanks for the confirmation it's not just me.

I've also noticed that the marker beacons contained in the FTX BGLs are superimposed over existing markers. For example, Sacramento Executive (KSAC) apparently has a middle marker and an outer marker on the ILS approach for rwy 2 as you'd expect. In the FTX version, we still have those two (real) existing markers as well as 24 new (bogus) ones - 4 for each runway! You can see the duplicated MM and OM for rwy 2 in this image:

KSAC_markers.png?dl=0

This is really odd and I don't think any of my other FTX regions are similarly afflicted. Hopefully a fix won't be too problematic... 

Cheers,

Nick

It seems that at least SAK region is affected similarly. CRM seems not to be. It would be great to have the Orbx-modified airport BGLs updated to reflect real life, present day conditions, as they are not readily updated by FSX - or in my case, P3D - default navdata updates.

Thanks Esa - yeah, I also got round to downloading and installing PNW and this has the same issue too, with extra marker beacons at many airports including these ones for NAS Whidbey Island which are floating in Puget Sound. As you say, CRM region seems okay...

KNUW_markers.png?dl=0

I agree - as well as fixing the surplus markers, in the future it would be great if we could have the option to get the Orbx BGLs updated to reflect real life navaids (as we can do quite easily—and for free :smile:—with a default FSX/P3D installation.)

Cheers,

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Hello gents,

It's been a fortnight-or-so, so just wanted to give this one a little shove. Any word from the FTX devs on the surplus marker beacon issue with these terrain areas?

Thanks,

Nick

P.S. Only just noticed I mistyped the topic title of my first post here. What a twerp!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Well I've noticed the thread but I have no idea what the cause is.  After some tinkering around today I can say it's in the main .bgl and not the __CVX. bgl, but I've no idea why.  I'll continue to look into it as I have time.  I'm using KSAC as my test case if you're interested.

Cheers, Neil

• 1 month later...

While I can't help your issue, I highly support the notion that NCA is well in need of another SP. I have pending issues that have existed since the last SP about a year ago. I just hope to see that news announcement one day.

Nick

• 3 years later...

Sorry to dredge up an old topic - just wondering if anybody has seen a fix for this? I love the NCA scenery pack, but it really ruins the immersion of the sim when getting an IM indication at an airport that's not even served by an ILS. I've searched these forums as well as others and though I've seen a few mentions elsewhere, this is by far the most comprehensive thread regarding this issue (I agree with all the analyses above), so I thought it apropos to inquire here.

Matt

Archived