Custom GA traffic at Monroe Firstair and Harvey Field

Aerocommander

I recently purchased S43 Harvey Field and then W16 Monroe Firstair. No problems, as usual, in loading them. The one question I have is What is meant by the inclusion of "Custom GA traffic"? I am used to seeing GA AI planes flying around my other ORBX fields, such as Bowerman and Monterey. Should I be seeing planes flying in and out of these airports? I have AI traffic checked for both. I have PNW patch 8 installed, set ORBX GA planes on, with the default FSX AI traffic OFF. I have a BGL traffic file for both airports located in Scenery/world/scenery. I have the traffic slider set high. First time I have ever been stymied by ORBX and I am hoping someone will verify their success with it. 

Just and update to my quest.

I have read all of the posts throughout the ORBX forums and still cannot understand why I do not see ai traffic at Harvey or Monroe.

If I want to use the original ai traffic that came with S43 Harvey Field, I go to my FTX GA AI traffic control panel and turn off that source for AI traffic. I also leave the Default AI Traffic unchecked. If I go into the scenery/world/scenery files I see that my trafficAircraft.bgl has in fact been turned off. I see that the FTX control panel has indeed shut off the FTX GA AI files. 

Then I go to the control panel for S43 Harvey Field and ensure that AI traffic is selected. I then check the Harvey bgl and, if I am reading it correctly, it shows that there are 6 aircraft: two Cessna C172SP Skyhawks, a Piper Cherokee 180, a Mooney Bravo, a Beech Baron 58 and a Cessna 208. These aircraft, from the default ones, have ATC numbers listed and, for each, there are flight plans.  I fire up FSX and check the traffic slider. It is at 100 percent. But I can watch for sometime and there are no flights in or out of S43 (or Monroe if I set it up the same way). None of them show up in the view window for air traffic. Since four of the six aircraft show a flight plan from S43-S43 I should see them on the ground at least.

If I try the other route, selecting the  FTX GA AI Traffic and turning off the S43 Harvey BGL I believe that, according to the manual I have for the control panel, if I examined the flight plans I would find that those from the S43 BGL are included, but now with new aircraft. In fact I see a Beech Baron 58 N2YC that flies (supposed to) between 3W5  Concrete and S43. There are five more aircraft. Each has its own flight plan. 

I do not see any problems if I watch planes at Bowerman or Monterey. Everything works, I believe as it should. 

I have just about exhausted my understanding of how this all works and will move on.

S43 Harvey Field and W16 are awesome and I can live without hanging out at the end of the runway and reliving the old days as a Cessna or a Cherokee come floating in. But it certainly has been a challenge.

The

Good point Bruce,

I am unable to decipher the actual flight times. However, as I said earlier, what about the aircraft that are scheduled to fly touch and go flights? Shouldn't I see them on the ground at Harvey, or Monroe?

I now recall that, on one approach I made into Harvey, I saw a Baron heading for the runway and it disappeared. I tried removing all of the other aircraft on the field to ensure that it would have a parking place next time.

I'm going to start it up and let it run all afternoon. Perhaps it will happen!

Ok, I kept track of Baron N2YC at Concrete. At around 11:45 it took off heading south, presumably to Harvey. After a minute or so in the air it flew into a mountain and that was that. I duplicated it several times. 

That particular flight plan is not in the flight plans for S43 Harvey Field. It seems to be a new addition. However, the other flight plans appear, to my perception, to be the same as those that accompanied the original Harvey software. 

I changed my time and day repeatedly for three days and saw no change in aircraft at Harvey.

I guess I will have to get the means to read the flight times in the BGL.

Please, someone. Tell me you see ai aircraft working in and out of S43 Harvey Field and/or Monroe Firstair. If ORBX says it does, I believe it,  but you can tell me the settings that work for you. 

Appreciate any help

Thanks for your help Bruce.

I had once thought that, when I loaded the freeware GA AI Traffic, according to the manual, it erased the Harvey Bgl. But it didn't need to, as you turn it on or off with the Harvey Control panel anyway. In fact, if you don't turn it off, with the freeware GA AI traffic on, you will get, I believe, multiple aircraft. 

I look in my scenery/world/scenery folder and find traffic_Harvey.bgl. If I turn off GA traffic at the control panel, the extension OFF is added. Or vice versa. Note that I NEVER turn on the FSX default traffic at the GA AI Traffic control panel.

Bruce, I won't keep beating this as a dead horse, but I am concerned about my next airports.  I do have over 2000 hours flight time between FS9 and FSX, but I spend a lot of time just watching the AI traffic, especially at the smaller airstrips that ORBX so masterfully presents. 

Well, Problem is FIXED!

Several knowledgeable folks have been practically shouting the answer on other forums. I just refused to believe that I had any FS9 traffic files in my FSX World/Scenery.

But I finally downloaded AI Flight Planner, asked it to search my bulk traffic files and it found five FS9 traffic files. I erased them and now there are plenty of AI planes flying in all of my scenery, especially at Harvey Field.

So, for any other simmers who cannot get ai to fly, there is a very good probability that you have this problem. 

In the end, I learned a great deal about the workings of AI Traffic and, of course, vindicated ORBX as I expected to do.

As the saying goes, "I'm lovin' it"

Archived