FTX Aero problem KFHR

JoHubb

Hi Jeff,

Wolter and I had a quickie on Skype. We are planning a session tomorrow (Tues) at 7.30 pm your time, 9.30 am my time (GMT) and 10.30 am Wolter's time in Belgium.

Hope we can make the connection and sort things out!

Regards,

John

Thanks, Tim.

No, I did not choose a runway texture. All my default runways look like this. Even some addons look like this e.g. EGQC from Aerosoft German airfields. I know this scenery well and the asphalt runway never looked like this....

I did as you said and over-wrote the existing runway18.dds file (same date and size).  It made no difference.

John

john,

I did some experimenting using REX4 to install runway textures into FSX and came up with this...

Concrete runways are displayed thru "runway11.dds","runway18.dds" and "runway21.dds"

Asphalt runways are displayed thru "runway12.dds", "runway16.dds" and "runway25.dds"

Notice "runway18.dds" is a concrete texture which is why you're probably not noticing a difference at Friday Harbor. My guess is that "runway16.dds" is where you want to start looking, altho the other two asphalt textures might also have something to do with the problem.

You mentioned not having REX4 but some program, scenery AFCAD, etc replaced the original. The Aero directory within the ORBX directories has JPGs of the textures but none that I have are similar to the image in your original post.

Good hunting!

Jay,

Many thanks for this. 

After a lot of help from Wolter on Skype the problem has, for the time being at least, been solved.  He has endless patience and loads of knowledge. What a great chap! 

This is alongside Rwy34 at Friday Harbor (KFHR).

410916528.jpg

For some reason the detail1.bmp in the main FSX Texture folder was locked. It was difficult to unlock. it required several re-namings and copy/pastes from the detail1.bmp in the source folder to get the correct detail1.bmp to register in the main Texture folder. If you get my drift...

I did not fully appreciate how Aero works. It simply modifies the underlying textures and does not itself create replacement asphalt textures for runways.  REX or a similar program is needed for that purpose.

That is how I understand it anyways. 

John

well glad to hear we finally got it sorted, the odd thing being that the detail1.bmp always kept the original fsX one, it wouldn't even let it overwrite, anyways after a bit of fiddling back and fort things are sorted and working now, hopefully we can get it solved for Jeff as well.

Wolter,

I have been experiencing this same issue for sometime and after Tim tried to help me I simply gave up because nothing worked. I just put a new SSD into my computer and started from scratch. Fresh install of Windows 7 (no antivirus and no UAC) and then a fresh install of Prepar3D 2.5 only. My only add ons are fully updated ORBX areas and the latest ORBXLibs. I thought for sure FTX Areo would work this time but no. I have the same gross looking textures at KHQM as John showed at the start of this thread. I'm wondering if I have the same locked texture file and am looking for some advice on fixing it.

Thanks,

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived