CYBD Objectflow performance

DesertPilot

I've noticed that with the CYBD (Bella Colla) airport, the Objectflow_CYBD.dll module apparently triggers a rather severe performance hit.

When I installed CYBD into FSX:SE in December, with its dll module disabled (by setting Disabled=true in dll.xml), I noticed performance was great, I was consistently going over 100fps when flying around the Bella Colla area (one of my favorite Orbx sceneries, with beautiful mountains surrounding the airport).

When the 150215 Orbxlibs were released (with Objectflow support for FSX:SE), I went ahead and enabled Objectflow_CYBD.dll, along with allowing the ObjectFlowUpdate updater to run.  But when taking off on the CYBD runway, I noticed my FPS rate going down into the 20s, with a lot more stuttering when flying around the area.  So I disabled the module again in dll.xml, and performance was great again (back above 100fps).

So I was wondering, is this just a legacy Objectflow performance issue, that has since been resolved for the more recently released Orbx airports using the unified Objectflow.dll module?  Or do I actually need to completely disable Objectflow altogether (in dll.xml), to ensure improved performance across all Orbx sceneries?

By disabling ObjectFlow you disable the loading and display of library objects that are called through the module. With it off you'll possibly lose grass, trees, people, static aircraft, and airport structures depending on how much ObjectFlow was used. So you will get a performance benefit by disabling it, but in the same way your car is faster without the seats :)

Yes, I like to leave ObjectFlow enabled whenever possible.  What I was really driving at is, I've observed that many other airports have better performance with ObjectFlow than CYBD.  For example, KJAC and KWYS also have their own ObjectFlow modules that I've also enabled, and I still get better FPS rates with KJAC and KWYS (in the 50s to 70s at the airports themselves) than with CYBD.  With much less stuttering.  And of course, there's your excellent PAHO product--if it does use ObjectFlow, it was engineered to do so in a performance-efficient manner.

Among the Orbx airports that I've tried out so far, I've noticed that CYBD stands out as being one airport with really noticeable ObjectFlow-triggered performance issues.

Hopefully, when CYBD is eventually updated to support P3D v2 (which I also use), those issues will be eased.  Fortunately, for now, CYBD still has plenty of beautiful scenery (trees, buildings, static aircraft, vehicles, etc, and of course, the majestic mountains) that are there without ObjectFlow, for my enjoyment.  :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

It appears the heavy grass is the reason for my CYBD performance issues. When I used the CYBD control panel to change from "Grass Heavy" to "Grass Lite", my CYBD performance improved dramatically.  Much smoother now.

There must be something about the particular CYBD implementation of heavy grass, that has a significant FPS hit for me. I also noticed the FPS degradation was greatest when flying  near the airport buildings--apparently due to the higher concentration of grass there.

Archived