PAHO windsocks again

billhuntsman

PAHO is another beautiful ORBX airport with meticulous attention to detail except for one item -- the windsocks.  Once again, they do not indicate the wind direction.  Tonight it was 180 degrees off for winds of 9kts.  I certainly understand how this could happen with an airport or two, but the problem is extensive.  It is all throughout Norway and some other fairly recent releases such as Walter Sutton's.  Also, I am not the only one to have posted about this issue.  I don't think it is an issue with my weather engine (ASN) because FSX shift-Z and PAHO ATIS confirm the wind to have been about 60 degrees while the windsock indicated about 240 degrees.

I am not trying to be rude here, but I am genuinely puzzled.  If ORBX can design flags that blow in the correct wind direction as well as chimney smoke, why do the windsocks continue to be an issue in FSX, especially with recent releases?

Bill

Hi Bill,

Roger that, I've prepared a hotfix to correct the issue. It'll also end up in the first Homer service pack:

Orbx_PAHO_PLC_windsock_ObjectFlow.zip

Drop that in the ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_PAHO\Scenery folder for FSX or Prepar3D. Late in the development cycle I swapped out the original windsock models for some new ones that more accurately display windspeed. I neglected to check and make sure they were oriented in the same direction as the original ones.

Honest to goodness my perception of which way the wind is actually blowing for a given heading is terrible and no amount of charts or mnemonic device has been able to correct it. For future releases I'll put windsocks higher up on the testing checklist to capture my mistakes. Chimney smoke is a pretty easy one to get right though, it goes in the direction of the wind without any work.

I checked the new file and it is 180 degrees offset from the original. Either it works or the original, make sure it's in the correct directory and the original file overwritten.

I'll look into it again when I'm back at my workstation later today.

I cannot explain it either.  Just to double check I extracted your zip file again and copied it to ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_PAHO\Scenery folder for FSX  choosing to overwrite the old one.  Same result.  Wind from 60 at 8 kts but the windsock shows 240.  I am also quite sure that this is what I saw with the original file and posting here.

I suppose I could try re-installing PAHO and testing again.  If I do that, do I need to delete the old PAHO folder or will the installer just overwrite the old file?

Hi Bill,

Tracked down the issue, the ObjectFlow file for the windsocks put them through a filter of sorts that was supposed to orient them all in the correct direction. Looking more deeply into it only about half the windsocks and their different speed variants got filtered correctly and the others were 180 off. Upon re-filtering they still didn't end up all in the right direction but now they've all been changed. I just checked every sock and with the wind direction at 340 degrees they were all pointed properly south. No need to delete anything, just overwrite as before and let me know if it appears ok on your end.

Cheers,

Alex 

Thanks, Alex.  I think this has done the trick for PAHO.  So far I have only checked out one windsock, the one I can see from parking #14 (which is the one in my screenshots), but it now is indicating a 60 degree wind correctly.  I am going to assume that any others at Homer will also be correct.  I appreciate your quick response here.

Bill

Archived