Looking forward to getting this running with FTX!

Aplogies to those who may already know of this but thought I'd pass along a nifty bit've software that offers an alternative to TrackIr..

http://www.free-track.net/english/

As I'm not an electrician I went for the option of using the TrackIR Trackclip which I am told on the forum works in lieu of a self manufactured LED setup.. I'm still waiting for it to arrive in the mail so I can't comment on any success/failure yet..

Anyway, I can't wait to use this with FTX!! If anyone is using TrackIR or Freetrack already, would be great to see some vids of FTX in action when it is released! Yip yip!

I have a trackIR, and yeah, it glows red, so I think its just IR really. Just make sure you look after your trackclip though. i have pretty heavy headphones (Sony DJ 700 headphones with 40mm or 50mm cones), and I think stuff piled up on my trackIR attached, or I put the headphones the wrong way around on my desk, and it snapped (had to superglue it).

Freetrack looks interesting though. Might give it a try, it might be better then my trackIR in some ways. The only issue I forsee is maybe more lag on movements via webcam. I am downloading it anyway though to see (I have a Logitech Pro 9000, so its a pretty good webcam)

I Just tried it with my trackClip

It does NOT work for me. I'm not sure if its because:

1) my Logitech 9000 isn't picking up enough in the IR spectrum,

2) the Trackclip isn't putting off IR light,

3) the logitech 9000 is too high res (its a HD webcam)

4) My Monitor is too bright (even all the way with brightness down)

(REREADING THE INSTRUCTIONS: I discovered probably its my IR filter on my webcam)

But, it would not accurately track my head, and it seemed to pick up random dots in other locations incorrectly.

I tried it lights on and lights off, and messed with the contrast (some dots stay). I also ensured 3 dots (via clip) were selected.

My hardware is:

logitech 9000 Webcam

Trackclip Pro

Lights off (door closed, and I have shutters which completely block the light) or lights on

23" LCD Screen about 80cm away

I Have not taken the IR filter off my webcam though!!!

So hopefully you have more success.. But if you are ordering the track clip simply for this, be warned. It would not track my head at all, and whilst I saw the IR dots on the screen easily, there were so many dots, even in complete dark (maybe ones reflected off my tshirt).

By the looks of things, you need to pull your IR filter out of your webcam, and maybe it works better then. I'm interested to hear how well it works with the filter off though.

Did you check your webcam against the list of webcams provided on the freetrack site.. I have purchased a Microsoft VX-1000 that has an IR filter I will have to remove (I presume that the Trackclip uses IR?). Some webcams don't have IR filters but those that do require it to be removed they also recommend using another filter to filter ambient light such as a photo negative or FDD disc.

There are a few construction tutorials around, such as this on youtube..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNstobEAado

Once my trackclip arrives, I will have a go at setting it up, if I don't succeed I will just purchase the TrackIR hardware itself to complement the Trackclip-simply thought if Freetrack, the Trackclip and a cheap webcam ($30) work, I will be saving a little $.. All in good fun anyway.. I need something to keep my mind off the coming 24-48 hours waiting for FTX release..

Thanks mate, am in Japan and went with the internet shopping gig my wife likes to use over here. Wasn't until we received the order confirmation that the fine print arrived regarding stocks-bright side is that the order was placed almost 2 weeks ago so hopefully not long to go now!

Guess I'll have to make do until then, I am sure FTX will keep me busy-and I'm thinking about going for the Carenado Mooney now that the FSX model has just been released.. :) So many new toys to think about! haha..

Adrian, do you sell any of the "GoFlight modules"?

Cheers,

No not as yet but I have spoken to them and am in the process of setting up as a dealer. Just waiting to hear back from their international distributor.

Thanks Adrian,

Much appreciated.

Archived