Global Base w/Hybrid vrs North America in FTX Central?

wingclip

Hi folks,

It has been a few weeks since I’ve installed the “big 3â€. Can someone please explain to me what the difference is, (or what differences I should be looking for), between the FTX Central selections of “North America†and “Global Base/Hybridâ€?

I have a lot of add-ons and FSX is on a dedicated, 500 GB, SSD but it still takes quite some time to shut it down and then restart it, (even with a 5 GHz overclocked processor). Then of course, I would likely have to screenshot a given area at a specific destination and make side-by-side comparisons. 

Even then, I wouldn’t know what I’d be looking for. If it was something small, I could do this for quite some time. So I’m quite aware of how I would go about doing the comparisons but obviously, it’s simpler, quicker, and more precise, for me to ask if you can describe and/or explain these differences.

This is an important question to me and I have asked this question a few weeks ago but never received a reply. However, to be fair, it was during the Christmas holidays and frankly, I didn’t expect an answer for that very reason. Someone did reply but in a tongue-in-cheek way which of course, never answered the question.

You may note that I’ve started a 2nd topic this morning as well. The question I’m asking here may, or may not, help me to determine some possible culprits in a different matter. I didn’t mention the remaining issues in this topic because it would just confuse and/or complicate the main question.

Thank you,

Rich

Hi Rich,

The difference between setting to a region and Global with hybrid is the lclookup file used. FSX is has a set number of landclass variants it can address through the lclookup.bgl file. In the each region came with its own lclookup.bgl file that had custom slope switches (when it changes to rocky cliff face), region codes, autogen texture calls, region codes, etc that were fine tuned to the individual region. Global also includes an lclookup file that is tuned for best appearance globally, hybrid mode is simply a merger of the two that tries to define landclasses in ways that best serve the regions and global. In short there are a only a few visual differences, mostly at what slope cliffs begin to appear and which autogen textures are called. The only other notable differences are that there are a very few number of landclass tiles that are swapped for different variants when using hybrid.

Thank You Sir!

That's exactly what I need to know. I read the manuals but I don't recall that it made any specifics remarks to the differences between a particular Region add-on, and itself regarding these points. It only instructs when to use the various modes and conditions.

Your answer does lend to the question regarding the Hybrid mode's need if one plans to stay in a specific region they have installed. Would I get better performance w/o the hybrid checked, if I flew in NA and planned to stay there throughout the flight session, (assuming there was some reason why I didn't choose to select my NA region instead)?

I'm only guessing here, but I assume that the "hybrid" mode wouldn't have any bearing on the Iclookup affected files, would it? It focus's on the smooth transitions from one hemisphere to the other, right?

Thanks again,

Rich

Archived