Should I Uncheck the remaining UT stuff in FSX lib?

wingclip

HGi Folks,

First, this is about the FTX Global Base installation and I didn't see a specific Topic page for that. I only saw those for Vector and Open LC so if I'm in the wrong place, pardon me and please redirect.

Second, I installed GB, (and the latest Library), after first disabling UTX Alaska and UTX USA as well as all my GEX stuff. When I opened the FSX library, I noticed that "UT FSX Object Re-positioning" and "UT Landclass-Custom were still checked on. So I unchecked them both along with my ST South america and Africa Scenery Landclass addons.

That's what I should have done, right?

Thirdly.... WOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!! I just did my first flight after installing Global Base and I am blown away by too may things to mention here. However, the Frame rate improvement was completely unexpected. I run my i7 2600K at 5 GHz whenever I fly FSX, (liquid cooled, of course), but even so, there are areas, (when set to extreme weather conditions and the like), that can cause a small degree of stuttering.

I always run at 4096 and a minimum LOD 5.5 so it's kind of expected. However, there was none of that happening when I opened and flew today. It could be because UTX and GEX are disabled but whatever the reason, I'm impressed and I haven't barely scratched the surface yet.

I'm about to install the Global Vector followed by Open LC.

Thanks,

Rich

I would remove completely any and all UTX and GEX applications while you are installing the ORBX stuff. Then you can read thru the threads and manuals and 'how to' guides later and determine if there is anything you want to keep. I got $10 that says you won't miss it, any of it.

Well, you certainly aren't going to get me to bet against you! Thanks, that's exactly what I did, (re UTX, GEX, and ST). The UTX parts stayed checked in the FSX library, (the two I mentioned), may have been left on because of some custom setting I may have made in the past.

I know I made some changes per the Holger threads regarding various UTX/FTX combinations sometime ago, (maybe a year). Anyway, it would explain why the "Enable/Disable" feature in UTX USA contradicted itself. I had just finished tending to that question with the UTX CS forum folks.

I won't go into it here, but in the end, we figured that the UTX dialog stats boxes didn't refer to the same stats in the same way that UTX Alaska's dialog boxes did, (which did not contradict itself). The two UTX checked items must have been the REAL reason why UTX USA gave a "ACTIVE" dialog box indicator even when the drop down enable/disable panel said it was disabled.

No matter, I'm confident that GB installed correctly. I'm not new to FTX's installs and I always turn off the Virus/security systems before installations, right on through to the Library patch.

Thanks again,

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

PS I see you're in Houston too! The weather for the holidays is just about perfect! Cool and of course, NO SNOW!

Hmmmm.... I hope I didn't screw up too badly by not double checking to be sure all the UTX stuff was turned off! I just discovered that I also had "UT landclass-Urban", "UT Landclass-Vegetation", and "UT Exclusions for default scenery" checked in addition to the two I mentioned above during the time of the Global Base installation.

That likely means the back-up step of the installation process, backed up the UT settings and not the FSX Default scenery. That in itself doesn't really bother me because I don't plan to fly FSX in its default state anytime soon.

However, I experienced an "Unhandled Exception error" when opened the FTX central, and selected the "Global" icon as well as all 3 sub-options, (which included the Hybrid mode). After reading the manual, I understood that I could select my FTX region as the active scenery if I didn't plan to leave to fly in an 'uncovered area', so that's what I did, (I had the FTX NA icon active).

Then a few minutes ago, I decided to check out the EVRA Open LC example that was installed with GB. This required that I select the "Global" icon and hybrid mode as I mentioned. As soon as I clicked "Apply" I got the "Unhandled Exception error" dialog box.

I decided not to accept it and click "continue". Instead, I closed the box and re-started my computer. Then I went to FSX central to try again. The "Global" icon was already selected, (Probably because it did the initial action even though I didn't click "continue"). I clicked on the Global icon again anyway and clicked "apply" just to confirm the selection.

This time I didn't get that error but it may happen when I first activate a different region and then go back and select the "Global" icon again, (which would be a repeat of the initial event). If so, I may have to re-install Global Base BEFORE I install the other two, (Vector & Open LC).

• What do you think?
  • Does it sound like the UT options that were still checked at the time of the GB installation may have caused that, or perhaps it was just a fluke?

I'll see what happens and I may try rechecking the UT areas that I had unchecked to see if that affects it.

I'm going to try flying in EVRA right now and see what comes of it.

Rich

Okay, it appears that I might have ironed out the bugs which may or may not have been related to the UTX oversight. This matter, (and the entire topic in general), should be considered resolved.

Below is an explanation in detail of the steps I took for anyone who may run into a similar issue:

After flying in the “Global/hybrid†mode, I once again closed FSX and opened up FTX Central.

I then chose the FTX North America icon and click “applyâ€. I immediately got another “Unhandled Exception†error alert. Once again, I selected “quit†as opposed to “continueâ€, and then restarted FTX Central.

I reselected FTX North America, click the applied, and did not receive the Unhandled Exception error. I then opened the flight in FSX and after a few minutes of starting and stopping the aircraft, exited out and closed FSX.

I then opened up FTX Central and selected the “Global†icon and then click “applyâ€. This time, I didn’t receive an “Unhandled Exception†error. I went through the entire process of opening a flight in FSX and once again closed it and then once again opened FTX Central and selected FTX North America.

This time, I didn’t receive a Unhandled Exception error in that transition either! I tried it again in the “Oceana†and that transition went just a smoothly with no errors. 

I have to guess that whatever caused the Unhandled Exception error, (likely to be the UTX selections that I had overlooked and didn’t discover until after I install Global Base), corrected themselves after opening and closing FSX and establishing whatever information it needed in the process.

Therefore, I’m going to continue with the next stage of the installation process which is the Global vector installation. 

In addition, today is Christmas day and for many, the holidays will continue for several more days of the week. Please don’t think I expect any reply anytime soon because I’m fully aware that even you folks in FTX have to have some time off.

The customer support department in the forums is one of the best and I know that all too well.

Happy holidays, ^-^

Rich

Archived