About ASUS boards time keeping freeze bug

dominique

I own a Z87 Pro and have been plagued by that bug with all the versions of the BIOS till now.  Miracle, I did an overdue BIOS update yesterday with version 2103 dated August last (I was at 1707)  and the computer seems to keep the time now !  

Hope that can help some of you.

Normally the only way a motherboard wont keep time is because of a dead or dud recharging BIOS battery, take a note of its type and buy one cheap somewhere, Jewellers and watch shops will charge massive surcharges for this.

Indeed it is a Asus problem with their Z87 mb's and as mentioned by Dominique it has nothing to do with the BIOS battery.

The latest BIOS will minimize this problem, but it is still there: if you play with the settings in your BIOS for OC'ing, you will find that the time freeze can happen. But is very rare.

My apologies ... i dont have an Asus Z87 motherboard, but do have a new X99 Asus Deluxe with 5960X overclocked, too early to show theses symptoms admittedly, but I've also got an about 2 year old Asus X79 Rampage Extreme IV with an I7 3960X six core that has ran over-clocked at that speed when I want to use it with no sign of early battery decay or motherboard bad time keeping  :) Up to date BIOS of course.

Dont get me wrong guys I'm no Asus fan boy and was tempted to go elsewhere when getting delay after delay for the new X99 motherboards from Scan.co.uk ... and when I did get my X99Deluxe I wont say its been trouble free ... X99 is a brand new chipset after all but once booted and overclocked its very very stable, eight cores, lots of fun, DDR4 as well.

But honestly, the first thing any PC Tech would suggest first after hearing these symptoms is a Mo board battery for motherboard time keeping, because in 99.9% of cases that's what it is.

A most unusual issue, thankfully it has not plagued my Asus boards, they have enough problems already :) Mostly sorted now though.

looks like the OP has sorted things with a BIOS update, its good that we can do this, with my X99 its taken three BIOS flashes to where I'm happy now.

Seriously thinking of going to MSI next build .... anyone remember Abit? those were fantastically stable boards and I dont remember flashing one of them :)

Archived