Trouble in paradise.......funny smell

alainneedle1

Had to turn around......funny smell in inside....

The plane is a total lost.........

Hell alainneedle1 - what graphic shots, and did they bring memories flooding back of Lae PNG airport circa 1973 - A Cessna 402 (light twin) took off from Lae bound Finchhaven with 8 pax. At the point where I expected to hear his departure call (I was the approach controller in the tower) he reported a loss of power on one engine and requested a clearance to return to the field, so I watched him returning through the long lookers, everything appearing normal until turning final, when I noticed a plume of black smoke from the port engine, (just as in your shot four but without the appearance of flame).

I already had the firies standing by, and told the pilot he appeared to have smoke coming from his left engine, to which he replied - 'yes I'm on fire and need the firies'. The touch down was normal and he stopped right where the fire truck was sitting next to the runway with the flame now appearing as in your shot five. As the firies started pouring foam all over the engine, the door and pilot hatch opened and people poured out and all were safe and sound. The 402 had been airborne five minutes.

The fire was caused by a loose turbocharger clamp allowing superheated air from the dislodged pipe to blow directly onto the partition between the engine and the overwing luggage compartment, so all the luggage had caught fire and the main spar had just started to melt (about 1cm deep) The aircraft was just out of a 100 hourly. Talking to the pilot later he told me he was totally unaware of the fire until I told him of the smoke, when he looked he had about fifteen feet of flame behind him. The interesting bit that I remember was that the smoke was being swept down below the wing whilever the aircraft was airborne.  :D

Hi! all, thank you for yor nice comments, it's all default effect on default airplane......this plane was not easy to land FSX is making it like in real life with one engin quitting and the plane pulling the other way I had to fly this plane back on the strip.......hoping it will never happen to me in real life.......

Archived