FSX/P3D and Ramdisks

tjdinmaine

So has anyone else played around with creating a ram disk to run parts of fsx/p3d?..I have 32gbof kingston hyperx 2400mhz in my system so i am able to create a 24gb virtual hard drive in the ram using imdisk virtual disk, wich is just enough room for my orbx folder, and my simobjects folder.  SOO....the big question....is it worth the hassle? Well..It does perform better, but it is certainly not the life changing boost i had hoped, to start with it has one major draw back, the drive is not persistent, so i need to recreate the drive, and copy the contents to it each time i restart the computer.  It does load textures significantly faster, over my 1tb wd black....but thats a given, for example flying say the PMDG 737NGX, normally if  when i switch to an exterior view it may take 5-7 seconds for all of the planes textures to properly display, where as running from ramdisk its 1 or 2 seconds, for 4096 textures.  there is a mild boost in FPS as well, but hardly noticeable in my opinion.  So if you happen to have $600 worth of ram in your rig, its worth a shot...if you have 16gb or less of ram i cant see even bothering, im sure the money would be better spent on a quality ssd, and it would be far less hassle....Anyone else tried it?..think of aany folders that may increase the performance more so then the ones i tried (and know how to change the path to said files)?  My findings were far from conclusive, and i have since started running back off the local drive, but still think its a topic worth covering....

Prepar3d 2.4

Why bother !! The concept of RAMDISKS harks back to Win 95-98 and low performance HDD's there is no benefit to be had at all these days since your SSD is much faster that the average RAM and is in effect a RAMDISK anyway. 

Place your Cache and Temp files on an SSD will have more beneficial results. 

Why bother !! The concept of RAMDISKS harks back to Win 95-98 and low performance HDD's there is no benefit to be had at all these days since your SSD is much faster that the average RAM and is in effect a RAMDISK anyway. 

Place your Cache and Temp files on an SSD will have more beneficial results. 

well to answer the why bother, i have used it with other games with phenomenal performance (State of decay, fallout 3/New vegas)  But they are small enough that i can make a 16gb drive and fit the whole program onto it, load times became nearly non existent, and frame rates were substantially better, so i was hoping deep down for a miracle that would let me run 70fps at max settings in bad weather flying into JFK...so far i havent found that miracle, so i take any advantage i can get!

If an SSD is faster than RAM then why would anybody bother with RAM. RAM is still many many times faster.

To answer the original question, by using a RAM disk you decide what data is cached and stored in that RAM disk. OS's make a pretty good fist of caching data in available RAM. If you load FSX/P3D a second time you'll see a large decrease in load time because the OS has cached the data from the 1st load. I'd argue it's this 2nd load you should compare to your RAM disk load times. Either that or you have to time from start of RAM disk load, not just after you've loaded it.

Archived