Antonov antics off Jervis Bay

Hotspot

I read in a flying mag recently that there is a single An-2 in Australia, painted bright yellow and approprietley called Big Bird!

Great pics and certainly proof of how this thing can perform on small landing spaces!

Thanks fellas for the kind comments - it's a great bush aircraft as well as carrier material  ;D

Holy crap! I didn't expect to see this bird on Australian forum :D Magic aircraft... Did you enjoy its cockpit?

Thanks for the photo link climisiu - yep the cockpit is great. I have only recently downloaded the Antonov, and as you see am having fun, but can't taxi well as it continually turns right on the ground despite the rudder and tailwheel doing all the correct things visually - maybe you have an idea what is wrong?

I read in a flying mag recently that there is a single An-2 in Australia, painted bright yellow and approprietley called Big Bird

Ha! You are right! I found it:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5813157

Nice duck painted on the nose :D

Thanks fellas for the kind comments - it's a great bush aircraft as well as carrier material  ;D

Thanks for the photo link climisiu - yep the cockpit is great. I have only recently downloaded the Antonov, and as you see am having fun, but can't taxi well as it continually turns right on the ground despite the rudder and tailwheel doing all the correct things visually - maybe you have an idea what is wrong?

I don't fly this aircraft 'cause I can't stand the cockpit :D

About the taxing issue. I had a similar problem with other airplanes but to solve the problem I had to re-calibrate my joystick and then restart the computer. If it doesn't help I will ask people who fly An-2 more often than I do. It also can be a matter of wind (especially when you have realism setting on max.). Can you also please paste here a link to this plane?

Thanks clmisiu for the link to that picture of Big Bird, I think the 'duck' may be the bigbird character from the kid's TV show of yesteryear 'Sesame Street', but I could stand corrected on that. :D

Yep I have recalibrated and restarted to no avail. The file at http://www.avsim.com/ is 'an2t_07.zip' found in the file library in the 'Flight Simulator X - Original Aircraft' section, author Vladimir Zhyhulskiy.

I have just checked out this plane on my FS. I did two taxi tests:

1. With no wind - I didn't noticed any problems, aircraft was taxiing straight.

2. Wind set on 16 knots - I did notice that the aircraft was turning a little bit due to the wind.

As I said, I will ask people who fly this plane for some advice. I will let you know (in this topic) if anybody comes up a new idea.

Hi Bill, nice shots ... and a very nice with love modelled airplane by the author

after your remember/hint

I´ve downloaded and installed (to the letter following the included instructions) the fanatastic AN-2 again - I have had it in my previous FSX installation (just FSX; now after a complete reinstall FSX+Acceleration). Everything seems to be allright (panels and switches, lights everything is working perfect).The only problem I have.. I cannot run/start the engine (ctrl+E and throttle up 30% plus as recommended- but the engine will not run). What´s wrong ??? Any idea?

Every hint/ answer would be appreciated

cheers and thanks

Rainer/aeugli

:D Love the shots, is the Carrier in Oz scenery?

Cheers and thanks for posting those,

Carrier comes with Jeansy's OZx East Coast Shipping AI, just take off from Jervis Bay and it should be somewhere around!

Hi clmisiu,

The problem in taxiing (nil wind) means that as power is applied the aircraft continues in a right hand ground loop until it reaches 25- 30 knots then mysteriously  comes OK to the extent that it then goes in a straight line, at which stage right rudder responds normally but it cannot be turned left until airborne, when all is then OK. I have made a fresh download and am about to reinstall - will advise.

Hi aeugli,

I haven't had to go to the full 30% to get the engine going, just a small amount of throttle seems OK, but I do have to hold down Ctrl E until the engine fully starts as it may cough and die up to three times before catching - very realistic. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Does your engine fire and die, or not fire at all?

Hi Bill,

thanks for your quick answer: at first the engine fire and die - now I can start the engine (don´t know why - I didn´t anything else, it´s a little bit a mystery). So far so good.

But a new issue appears: over around 600 RPM the propeller gets a nearly (blue-)black disc. May be it´s unavoidable cause it´s a FS9/2004 model??? Any idea?

Anyway it´s not a big problem, I´m happy so far with the AN-2.

Thanks again Rainer/aeugli

Strange thing... If reinstalling does not help, you can try to press key "5" (numeric keybord on the right) when num lock is disabled. Also try to check/uncheck the autorudder option in realism settings.

Also try to check/uncheck the autorudder option in realism settings.

Hullo again climsiu,

Success!! Simply by applying autorudder (which I have never before used), my taxiing problem is resolved and now have no problems - thankyou  ;D

And hullo again aeugli,

While trying to resolve the above taxi problem I downloaded and installed the same author aircraft from Avsim as above, and while taxiing OK it had the same black propellor problem as yours, so I went back to my originally downloaded version with the taxi problem from this site http://www.simviation.com/simviation/?type=item&ID=61&page=8. Maybe if you try this one (and use autorudder)it will solve the engine start and black disc problem  ???

Hallo Bill/hotspot, clmisiu (difficult writing for me ;D)

thanks for the link; I downloaded it and it works better (no start problems and propeller problems anymore) than the other one - just with all the same issues concerning taxiing (with autorudder checked it goes straight away!).

Didn´t try the "5"-Key suggestion as clmisiu mentioned (thanks clmisiu; will give it a try later).

Well, the AN2 is - as a conclusion and in summary - not a plain plane, but a character ;) ;).

Another special: Look at "loading and fuel": she/it is starting with "6028 lbs over maxload" (you can change/disable it in the aircraft.cfg file; just disable per // the passenger-lines). Anyway it goes up just with the heavy (over-)load.

Thanks again you both

cheers Rainer

No problem, happy to help. Having the autorudder checked you are still able to control the rudder with pedals/twistable joystick so I don't really know what this option does (except for solving drunk-airplane problem) :D

Archived