Is it necessary to back-up default FSX scenery prior to installing FTX Global ?

MZee1960

Hi Guys,

I will be downloading FTX Global in the coming days.  I currently have no scenery files other than default FSX.  The only addons I have are REX Essential Plus with OD, Ultimate traffic 2, and several aircraft from Carenado, and RealAir.

A lot of people in various flight sim forums say FTX Global is a major upgrade to FSX which 'changes and replaces'  most of the default FSX scenery files, so it's a good idea to back them up first just in case you want to go back to them ?  Some people say this is not needed.  Some say there is an option during the install process which offers to automatically back up these files.  I do not want to 'mess anything up' during the FTX Global install so as to be forced to do a complete FSX re-install to correct things  (been there on several occasions already and have no plans to revisit this scenario).

What do you experienced FTX users recommend ?

If backup is needed, how is it best done ?  Does it suffice to go to the Scenery folder in FSX and 'copy' it to another device or location ?........ Or ??

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank-you in advance,

MZee.

Hi MZee,

When the installer runs it will give you the option to back up all necessary files to a new directory. You can either choose to do it or not, the benefit of doing the backup is that if you ever want to fully remove Global you will be able to restore everything to default without reinstalling FSX. 

Regards,

Alex

Before making any change of this nature to my system, I take a full system backup using Acronis  (other products are available). That way even if the automatic backup/restore provided by the software fails for any reason you can always get back to where you were before without re-installing everything. It also guards against corruption caused by e.g. a bad install/uninstall.

There is one other way to get the old FSX default textures back if you did not backup when installing Global.  If you do an FSX repair using the FSX installation DVD's.  It will overite the Global textures with the default FSX textures.

Thanks everyone for your input. I am sure I will not go back to default FSX scenery after installing FTX Global, but I think it's good to have a 'safe working FSX version' to fall back on in case any problems should arise during the install process which may avoid a lengthy complete FSX re-install process.

MZee.

Archived