Frame rates have hit rock bottom...

rcpistonhead

Hello -

I recently purchased and installed FTXG as a replacement for the GEX textures that I was using previously. Before I installed FTXG I restored all of the default textures via the GEX control panel. I then installed FTXG and everything seemed to go smoothly. Before I made any changes my FPS was always 30-35. Now after installing FTXG whenever I am below 10,000AGL the frame rate drops dramatically. For example, last night I flew from KMCI to KDFW. On the ground and during departure form MCI everything was great with FPS around 30. Then, on decent into DFW once I got below 10,000 my FPS hit the floor. Once I turned onto final approach and had the filed at my 12 o'clock my sim literally looked like a slide show. My frame rate was about 1 FPS. After touchdown I was about to turn onto the taxiway when all of a sudden the frame rate jumped back up to 25-30.

I am having a really hard time undstanding why this is happening. Before FTXG I never had this problem. I have road vector lights turned off and FTX trees turned on. I set all the the FSX settings per the FTXG manual. I even turned down the scenery complexity, which did make a small improvment but I don't want to keep turning down settings to improve performance. I use Nvidia Inspector as outlined by Kostas as well as his reccomended .cfg settings. I am running 3 monitors setup with Nvidia Surround in 5760x1080 resolution with a single GTX 660 GPU. My CPU is a AMD FX 6300 @ 4.5Ghz (6 core) and I have 16Gb of DDR3 ram. I have FSX and all my add ons installed on their own dedicated HDD.

I can't seem to find any FTXG settings to play with but I'm not exactly sure where to look.

If I can get any help with this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Ben

You need to defrag after installing anything ORBX...there are hundreds, to thousands of files that can be written all over your hard drive...and that takes time...to find, process and bring back to the sim's needs.  If you don't have a good defrag program, I suggest you get one...and one that allows you to defrag before even Windows starts to run...it will get all system-level files too...for if a system file is being used..or locked after Windows start to set up, no defrag program will move Windows-opened system files, to a better and more optimized location. This fact is often overlooked by those having slow system disk access times.

A program like O & O Defrag 18 Professional can be set up with only a mouse click to always defrag your system, right after the BIOS read phase. It is a very quick each-system-start defrag interval...and a no brainer.for running complex scenery like ORBX puts out.  Can you imagine, how many files are in such a product (over a 4 GB download) as Global 1.3?   You want them all to be read by your hardrive, sequentially.  That will also cut a major source of stutter/pause. It will also greatly increase your hard-drive's useful life cycle,  before major failure, or read-write problems surface.

If you already do defrag your installs right after you install them...then you'll have to look at another reason for the drop in system performance.

You need to defrag after installing anything ORBX...there are hundreds, to thousands of files that can be written all over your hard drive...and that takes time...to find, process and bring back to the sim's needs.  If you don't have a good defrag program, I suggest you get one...and one that allows you to defrag before even Windows starts to run...it will get all system-level files too...for if a system file is being used..or locked after Windows start to set up, no defrag program will move Windows-opened system files, to a better and more optimized location. This fact is often overlooked by those having slow system disk access times.

A program like O & O Defrag 18 Professional can be set up with only a mouse click to always defrag your system, right after the BIOS read phase. It is a very quick each-system-start defrag interval...and a no brainer.for running complex scenery like ORBX puts out.  Can you imagine, how many files are in such a product (over a 4 GB download) as Global 1.3?   You want them all to be read by your hardrive, sequentially.  That will also cut a major source of stutter/pause. It will also greatly increase your hard-drive's useful life cycle,  before major failure, or read-write problems surface.

If you already do defrag your installs right after you install them...then you'll have to look at another reason for the drop in system performance.

Thank you very much for this information. I honestly didn't even think to defrag after installing and I haven't done so in a few months. I am going to download O & O Defrag 18 and give it a try with the free trial. If all goes well I will definitely invest the $30 for the license. Are there any other good defrag programs you reccomend? (free) 8)

Thank you very much for this information. I honestly didn't even think to defrag after installing and I haven't done so in a few months. I am going to download O & O Defrag 18 and give it a try with the free trial. If all goes well I will definitely invest the $30 for the license. Are there any other good defrag programs you reccomend? (free) 8)

I really was after O & O, after a friend from work, had been using it for quite some time, I think v11 or so.  So, I did my due diligence, and really liked the features (I use the one I mentioned to you de facto,), and haven't needed to look beyond that. I started with v12, and am now at v18.  This software also handles SSD's and their unique TRIM requirements, over many manufacturers. Man, I sound like a commercial...but truly, it will do anything of a defrag nature, that you will require.  I have no experience to offer you, with  free or payware. Sorry...

As I stated....ORBX stuff, is massive...and you really will pick up system (FPS, and seek) performance when you keep all your files in a maintained and groomed manner, and your drive read/write head doesn't have to blast all over the surface of your disk drive to keep reading and loading one required texture(s).  A lot of flight simmers over-look this, or don't know how much of a performance sucker, a fragmented hard drive is...  Good luck, sir. ::)  

I really was after O & O, after a friend from work, had been using it for quite some time, I think v11 or so.  So, I did my due diligence, and really liked the features (I use the one I mentioned to you de facto,), and haven't needed to look beyond that. I started with v12, and am now at v18.  This software also handles SSD's and their unique TRIM requirements, over many manufacturers. Man, I sound like a commercial...but truly, it will do anything of a defrag nature, that you will require.  I have no experience to offer you, with  free or payware. Sorry...

As I stated....ORBX stuff, is massive...and you really will pick up system (FPS, and seek) performance when you keep all your files in a maintained and groomed manner, and your drive read/write head doesn't have to blast all over the surface of your disk drive to keep reading and loading one required texture(s).  A lot of flight simmers over-look this, or don't know how much of a performance sucker, a fragmented hard drive is...  Good luck, sir. ::)  

Just wanted to give you an update: It does appear that defragging my system has helped performance significantly. Yesterday I did a flight KORD-KDEN and tonight I did a flight KDEN-KSAN with fps in the 30s the entire trip. Thanks so much for the advice!

Just wanted to give you an update: It does appear that defragging my system has helped performance significantly. Yesterday I did a flight KORD-KDEN and tonight I did a flight KDEN-KSAN with fps in the 30s the entire trip. Thanks so much for the advice!

You're quite welcome...and in fact, anything you do now on your system, is considered to be optimized! Glad that it helped. ::)

Hello,

it is really a strange thing, I also had this issue over last weekend, between Friday 03 Oct. and Sunday. In FSX and P3D frames dropped downto 2-3fps , and no idea what could happen. Later I found that CPU temperature was up to 97% C, and CPU was down to 1600mhz. I've checked my CPU Cooler   but found nothing. I thought I had to go to purchase a new cooler on Monday, but on Monday it works again, and I have no explanation to this...

Andreas

Archived