FTX England OOM

blackbird971

Hello, There is a problem I would like to issue. For some unknown reasons I have OOMs when ever I fly into or out of FTX England. I don't have that problem for anywhere else but in England. I have already tried lowering down my settings with no succes. I don't know what more can I do. Please Help. Here is My PC Specs, Intel Core i7-4790S CPU @ 3.20GHz (turbo at 4.0), 8g of RAM, Windows 8.1

OOMs are a very complicated issue that are a consequence of FSX being a 32bit application. As such it can only use 4gb of your 8gb of memory.

It is very difficult to pinpoint the problem and what 'seems' like the root cause may only be part of a bigger problem. There is lots of info written about OOMs on the various FSX resources so I won't replicate here. If you do this bit of research you will have a much better idea of how to configure your system to minimise their occurrence (you can't eliminate them unless you stick to low complexity scenery and aircraft.)

I know this probably isn't the quick fix you hoped for but we all have to live through this frustration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OOMs are a very complicated issue that are a consequence of FSX being a 32bit application. As such it can only use 4gb of your 8gb of memory.

It is very difficult to pinpoint the problem and what 'seems' like the root cause may only be part of a bigger problem. There is lots of info written about OOMs on the various FSX resources so I won't replicate here. If you do this bit of research you will have a much better idea of how to configure your system to minimise their occurrence (you can't eliminate them unless you stick to low complexity scenery and aircraft.)

I know this probably isn't the quick fix you hoped for but we all have to live through this frustration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My problem is more frustrating then that. I have FTX England with everything else installed and all but for some reason I have no problem with a computer with lesser performance then the one I have here. I though that it might be because by the Fact that I couldn't find the .Net Framework 4.0 but I have the 4.5 Installed, so I don't understand.

Unless the two computers have FSX configured EXACTLY the same and you reproduce the same conditions on both machines EXACTLY, comparisons are almost useless.  I would urge you to search out the large amount of information on this tha is available on the web. To give you a brief flavour of the difficulties:

FSX can only use 4gb of memory; on a 64bit machine this is the Virtual Address Space (VAS) it can access, no matter how much physical memory you have installed.

When you start FSX it will begin to use up this VAS by:

• The FSX base application
  • All .DLLs loaded through dll.xml
  • All executables loaded through exe.xml
  • The scenery and aircraft from your start-up location. This is also affected by the way you have detail sliders set and what values you may have altered in fsx.cfg

When you begin to fly:

• Scenery will be loaded even if you only fly overhead. Detailed airports and photoscenery are particular memory hogs
  • FSX is VERY bad at releasing memory when it no longer requires access to scenery and your VAS usage will increase as you fly leading to OOMs on some possibly quite short flights in complex scenarios

Some simple suggestions to try that I use:

• Only load programs through exe.xml where it is essential. Some programs e.g Ultimate Traffic 2 services can be loaded independently from FSX and work fine but the memory they use (on a 64 bit machine) is outside the VAS used by FSX.
  • Disable complex airports and scenery on a route that you don’t intend landing at of viewing for VFR
  • Don’t use 4096 (I recommend not above 1024) textures for clouds, aircraft textures etc where the route will be tight on VAS usage
  • As a last resort on longish flights, save the flight at some point on-route and then reload which will clear out all memory used for the initial phase of flight.

I hope this gives you enough information to understand the issue and fine tune your experience.

Archived