Airport Looks Wrong

WIEZZY

Hi,

I'm working with Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Prescott, AZ, looking into integrating Orbx scenery into flight training videos for flight students, as well as requiring them to each buy a copy.

I really like FTX Global overall, but KPRC, our home airport, was really messed up by the installation. The buildings seem to be placed in more accurate locations, but the airport is surrounded by green grass, which makes no sense in the middle of the desert (minus the nearby golf course, which is not included in FTX Global anyway). 

My question: Is there anything I can do to remedy this situation, besides uninstalling FTX Global and just having them use the stock scenery? Is there any reason to think Vector or openLC might fix this, or another program like REX4 Texture Direct?

Here is a comparison. As you will see, the Prepar3D v2.2 stock scenery is much more accurate than the FTX Global Base scenery (minus position of buildings, which is less important to me).

Google Maps (what it ideally should look like); or seach Google Maps for "KPRC":

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wiezzy/14811171531/in/photostream/lightbox/

Prepar3D Stock Scenery:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wiezzy/14627573180/in/photostream/lightbox/

FTX Global Base:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wiezzy/14627721897/in/photostream/lightbox/

Thanks for your help.

Hi Brian,

I think there might be something up with your library order or possibly some other scenery active. Have you installed the Latest OrbxLibs for P3Dv2 v140703.

While I am not running P3D, I checked KPRC Love Prescott in all seasons with FSX in FTXG Default & Hybrid modes, could not get green grass underlay to show for the APX, golf course is present but no suburban housing as it is in Default P3Dv2. I also could not find those 2 parallel grey objects in the lower left of your "FTX Global Base shot".

If you install FTXGlobal freeware airports Pack #13, KPRC Love Prescott will show as the pictures below

This is what it looks like in FSX although P3Dv2 should not be too different, see pics below

w1mGO.jpg

QUKge.jpg

What you have in your pictures looks fantastic. There are still some weird green farming areas surrounding the airport, but the airport itself and golf course look infinitely better. Thanks!

Why would they not include all that freeware stuff with the FTX Global I paid for?

Would other products like Vector or openLC help things like the farms? To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how those are better than Global Base. If you have a particularly good comparison video or something for me to look at that would apply to the Arizona area, I would definitely consider buying them.

I can't get over how much better that freeware made PRC look. I tried the freeware for the SEZ airport like I said in my original post, but I couldn't tell a difference. Do you need Global Base installed in order to use the freeware?

When you say "The Global base package is recommended for freeware airports," do you mean I shouldn't buy openLC or Vector if I want the freeware (KPRC) to look right?

Also, I did a google search for openLC North America and couldn't find any kind of prediction in terms of release date. You you have a general idea as to when it might be available?

The base package is recommended but you can of course use OpenLC and Vector and they will not have a negative impact on the airport.

OpenLC North American doesn't have a firm release date yet, it is forecast for sometime later this year. Here's the product roadmap with more details: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/77322-april-2014-product-roadmap/

Cool I'll keep an eye out. Lastly, I've had a change to mess with PRC a bit and noticed a couple major issues: 1) There are still no hold-short lights anywhere (why??), and 2) There is no approach lighting system. Anything I can do about that? I added some hold short lights myself using "Instant Scenery 3," and they were working until I installed the KPRC freeware pack, but now they aren't showing up. They are definitely not an optional part of the airport when it comes to flight instructing.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi WIEZZY,

I was the one who created the FTXG freeware KPRC.  I verified both runways have PAPI4 VASI lighting in both directions, so why you are not seeing them I have no idea.  I don't know of any FSX airport that has "hold short lighting" although the taxiway signs do light up at night. 

Cheers, Neil 

Hi Ticker7

You may be right.  I'm not a pilot (only a wannabe!!) and I had to google to find what you meant by wig wag lighting.  FSX did not model these lights so they are not available for me to use. 

Cheers, Neil

Neil,

Great job on the geographical layout. I love the golf course and building positions, as well as the coloring of the dirt. Let me be more in-depth of what I was talking about before:

Yes, the wig-wag lights, aka "guard lights." They are placed on either side of the taxiway to mark the hold short line at night. They just tell you that you are about to enter the runway. They are circular orange lights that flash (wig-wag) left and right. Here are the ones I put in using my scenery program:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/wiezzy/14805576116/in/photostream/lightbox/

I know these are not included in P3D (which is why I needed the scenery program), but I can't believe they would leave them out, since they are not just an obscure feature at one or two airports.

As for the approach lighting system (ALS):

I see the PAPI lights, but they are not really part of an ALS. The ALS is a configuration of signal lights starting at the landing threshold and extending into the approach area a distance of 2400-3000 feet for precision instrument runways and 1400-1500 feet for nonprecision instrument runways. Some systems include sequenced flashing lights which appear to the pilot as a ball of light traveling towards the runway at high speed (twice a second)."

In PRC, we have a MALSR (Medium intensity Approach Lighting System). It looks like this:

malsr.jpg

The ALS in that pic is everything before (below) the threshold. The threshold is the row of green lights. Here is one in action (not the greatest video, but it gets the point across): 

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgOcQfB8Fow

Here is the approach plate for the ILS for runway 21L.

You don't need to be able to read the whole thing, but look at the top-center, and you will see it says "MALSR." Every approach plate will have this lighting section to show what ALS lights exist for that particular runway (if any). If you want to know what lights are attached to what airport/runway, simply look at that little box in its approach plates. I got this plate from AirNav.com > "Airports" tab > searched "KPRC" > Scrolled down to the "Instrument Procedures" section.

I hope that clears things up. Anything I can do to get those into my KPRC?

Thanks!

Hi Ticker7

You may be right.  I'm not a pilot (only a wannabe!!) and I had to google to find what you meant by wig wag lighting.  FSX did not model these lights so they are not available for me to use. 

Cheers, Neil

In addition to what was in my last post, I was wondering if you could tell me why some - but not all - of my custom scenery files, like the wig-wag lights, are not showing up in P3D v2.2 but ARE all showing in v1.4. Any idea? I'm not sure if it is due to Orbx, or if P3D just doesn't allow certain scenery files such as those in my picture above.

Hi WIEZZY,

I'm attaching a screenshot from FSX showing the MALSR lighting at 21L.  I do not have P3D2 (or P3D1.x) so I have no way of checking how my KPRC looks there but if you are not seeing the MALSR lights that is not the airports fault.  I can't speak to your issue of your wig wag lights not showing.

Cheers, Neil

post-2447-0-47961400-1407247949_thumb.jp

Archived