Exploding Chairs

Chandy

In the news today there is an article about a rotary chair's gas piston (for raising and lowering the chair) exploding and killing a 14-year old boy in China, parts of the strut entering his rectum. Another chair had earlier exploded injuring a man, also in China.

As many of the rotary chairs we use in Australia are made in China (mine is) should we be concerned, particularly when using vibration devices in flight simulation? Would this vibration cause the gas strut to weaken and eventually explode, with possible fatal results? I know that one could claim he was shot down but there is a concern demonstrated by two real examples. Unfortunately the news articles didn't elaborate on the cause of the exploding struts.

For comment.

Regards, John G ???

G'day Maurice: There is a gas strut in my chair; in fact I have had gas struts in all my chairs in the last ten years (I wear them out frequently with flight simming - always the gas strut fails softly through leaking seals or something). The stuts are factory loaded, however the exploding ones in China (check out the pictures on the web and you'll see the same chairs in most offices here) may have had seals that didn't have a fail-safe built in to prevent explosions. Whatever it was there are definetly gas-strut chairs around and it begs the question -'Are they safe, particularly when simming with vibration devices attached to the central post?'

I don't know the answer but I think it is worthwile to pass on my concern after seeing it on the MSN News site.

Regards,

John G

Interesting  I think my chair might be safe though I've had it for over 10 Years

You never know what's around the corner Mozz - just when I had convinced the missus that flight simming was perfectly safe, last night (by coincidence), my favourite simming chair collapsed backwards and dumped me on the floor. but luckily the impact was mainly to my head, and little damage was done. Now if the cylinder blows up and delivers a stainless steel shaft to the vicinity of my nether regions, who knows what she'll say? Hmmm...  ;)

This could match my exploding pants ;D But to be serious this is a very frightening thought indeed i have never heard of this before. If this lets go it could be GoodBye to your under carrage and thats a very sobbering thought indeed.

cheers

Iain.

Okay, okay...

On the serious side does anyone know how we can get more info on these accidents? Such as (a) causal factors (B) manufacturer © countries chaie have been exported to - assuming as I do that the chairs were made in China. This may have implications for the communities outside the flight simming world. You relations, friends, workmates - your kids?

I am not being alarmist, just concerned.

John G

Obviously this forum allows people to slight others (or does it). Let me assure you Markwle I have had a lifetime of extremely dangerous pursuits and with that background I am well quailified to spot a potential life-threatening occurrence and bring it to the attention of others. I am not amused with your attitude - perhaps you may be the first in this country to get a rocket up the Kyhber Pass - if so you may wish to reflect.

As far as I am concerned this issue is dead: I won't bother bringing anything to the attention of my fellow flight sim hobbyists in future.

John G

Now Now ladies  play nicely.

I seriously doubt there is anything significant to worry about with any Chairs of that type in Australia.

Why  well 1 because I believe that the likely hood of an actual explosion is highly unlikely as most units like this have no more than around 150-200 PSI of internal pressure.

My particular chair with "Air Lift" has  (even when new) insufficient pressure to lift my weight, around 80-85 Kg when last I weighed myself.

Now this is not to take away from the gravity of the situation at the start of the thread, but I do feel the standards in China may well be significantly lower than the ASA/ADR set Design constraints here in Oz.

As for the But kicker and other devices of that nature weakening the chair this I doubt also as the BKG is designed to vibrate and enhance the perception given by various simulations and games, not shake the daylights out of the seat but of course this would depend entirely on the individuals method of use too.

. I am not amused with your attitude - perhaps you may be the first in this country to get a rocket up the Kyhber Pass - if so you may wish to reflect.

As far as I am concerned this issue is dead: I won't bother bringing anything to the attention of my fellow flight sim hobbyists in future.

John G

hi John G,

Despite my facetious comments above, which can be taken as indicative of an inadequate sense of humour, and certainly not meant to denigrate you or your post, since seeing your warning I have been sitting on a 15mm piece of plywood with a cushion on top, much to the amusement of my better half. Despite also having partaken of a few dangerous pursuits during my life, I still think simple precautions are essential, while at the same time grinning in a friendly way at my own and others' peccadilloes. I hope you keep up the good work and keep posting!! 8)

• 2 months later...

I wasn't upset with your post, Hotshot.

However for the general forum viewers I could add that chairs made in China, or anywhere else for that matter, might escape controls we have in place in Australia, like some of the food products we have bought in the last couple of years and this despite having an Ozzie person over there to oversee health/safety levels etc. I remember well a purchase of thousands of goose neck torches from China that had no connecting metal between the battery compartment and the bulb - utterly useless and they got through a number of control points (I won't say who they were bought for but you may be able to work it out). I know the risks are low re the chairs but fact is fact.

Anyway enough on this subject for me...got flying to do.

Regards,

John G :)

Archived