Good replacement?

Tom Anderson

Recently I decided to buy a brand new computer to replace my current computer. My current computer runs FSX with acceptable frame rates around busy airports with the settings all maxed out but I don't have any add-on's so that may explain why :P FS9 runs superbly with hardly any hiccups and with a few add-on's. Here's the specs of my current system (from what I know...)

-AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.01Ghz

-2GB Ram

-Asus M2N Motherboard

-Asus EN8600GT 512MB Graph Card

-500GB SATA HDD

And the computer I've bought...

-Intel Quad Core Q8200 2.33Ghz

-1TB SATA HDD 7200RPM

-Kingston 4 GB RAM

-Gigabyte EG31-DS3L Motherboard

-nVidia 9500GT 1GB Graphics Card

-Thermaltake V9 Case

-550W Quality PSU

So, my question is, is it a good replacement? If not I could probably upgrade some of the parts, although keep in mind I have a tight budget ($300-$500 extra at the max)

Tom :)

In all honesty I don't think the Quad 2.3 is as powerfull as a Core Duo 3.5 Ghz, but the specs are quite respectable. I would get at least 1 more SATA 1Tb drive since the prices are very good still for this size drive. You can NEVER have enough storage. Just make sure you partition it up into manageable pieces, allowing space for backup etc of existing programing not to mention your "C:\" GHOST.

I trust the Main HDD you have in there currently is partitioned and NOT just one large space.

You can simply drop your existing HDD into the new box and update all the drivers for the new MB and so on.

Archived