Replacing MOBO and CPU

rayh

ORBX scenery should not provide any problem.

Is this your system c: drive?  That presents a little more difficulty on new hardware.

An interesting tip (that I have not tried) to transfer your system drive to dissimilar hardware outlined here.

http://www.oxhow.com/transfer-installed-windows-7-to-a-new-computer/

If you are transferring a non-system drive you will need to fix the FSX registry entry using one of the tools, and ensure that the drive is assigned the same drive letter.

NOW is the time to decide if your disks have outlived their usefulness.  For your C drive and your disk containing your game stuff, you will want to take advantage of the 6Gb SATA and SSD ports available on the new mobo.  If you go SSD for one, then go for both by the same manufacturer.  Each vendor has their own controller software for maintaining them. 

Most spin Disks have a life span of 3-5 years.  Anything too much older will not be 6Gb SATA drives. 

Mixing generation hardware is like sticking your four year old honda civic turbocharger onto your new 426 Charger.  LOL

About the same for case fans.  Today you can pick and choose which fans need to be high volume movers or force air movers.  In any one case you will use both types.  Then their is the low noise ones also.  love this because you cannot hear none of my case fans.  I use eight.

As a builder make sure your mobo, vid cards, processor, and memory are all on the same sheet of music. i.e. keep them all in the same generation of hardware.  Do not mix first, second, third generation hardware to save a buck.

Archived