Beaufighter!

Andrew Schofield

Just cleaning out my screenie collection...

This would have to be my favourite freeware aircraft ever.

It's Dave Garwood's brilliant freeware creation, available at avsim. The repaint is by Jeansy and is available at OzX and avsim.

For the uninitiated, the Bristol Beaufighter was a real gem for the RAAF during the war (as well as for the RAF and other services), particularly against Japanese shipping in the Pacific.

The shots are taken on a flight north of Townsville. The livery is of A19-54, of 30 Squadron RAAF.

Enjoy!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

For the uninitiated, the Bristol Beaufighter was a real gem for the RAAF during the war (as well as for the RAF and other services), particularly against Japanese shipping in the Pacific.

My first flying instructor was a Beaufighter pilot during WWII, so 'hangar' days were spent listening to great tales of derring do, strafing and bombing enemy shipping in PNG waters and other ringstinging adventures. Little wonder then, that when eventually I arrived in PNG my attention was caught by the shipping, barges and tanks still lying in the ocean shallows, and a lookout was kept for the wrecked WWII aircraft strewn around the landscape  for checking out on foot later. And no wonder my simulator is loaded with Beaufighters, Mitchells etc., - roll on ORBX and PNG scenery!!  :D

Archived