SSD?

Guest boeingqa

From what ive seen they are real good i thought of making a purchase but the price here in England put me off still very expensive around the five hundred pound mark for a 250 Gb one but i guess in time the price will come down, Im now thinking again of looking at the Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10000RPM SATA-II which comes in at around 230 English pounds and i believe is a very good drive indeed.

cheers

Iain.

You have to remember that just because the SSD Drive can blind you with speed the FSB may not be up to the task so it doesn't matter how fast the system component's are you might ultimately be restricted by the slowest component.

I'll chime in here ...

After a bit of research ...... I put in the following

2 x Enterprise Level SSD 76Gb (RAID0)

2 x Velociraptor 300Gb (RAID0)

Seek times:  SSD=0.1msec, Velociraptor 8msec

The Sustained/Burst read/write speeds however are in fact slower for an SSD (when used in Non-RAID) than is a velociraptor (surprising but true).

The price per Gb is (way) dearer for SSD than for a velociraptor.

So why do I have one?  You have to bear in mind how your system uses files, and what types of files they are.  I had a RAID0 Raptor system array fail - and wanted to try SSD to remove the "moving part" aspect of things.

The close-to-zero latency is great for a system drive, but many files in FSX (high detail PR backgrounds etc) take up a LOT of space, and are large files (so seek times are not so important - but read/write speeds are)

Also there are different techs in SSDs - so not all are created equal!

Because I have two SSDs in RAID0 - the sustained read/write speed is lifted (in fact these drives perform incrementally fast in RAID ... so 5 drives is about equal to 5 x one drive!)

FSX lives on the Raid0 Velociraptor array - which is plenty fast.

Would I do it again?  Probably not - purely on cost.  I have 2x SSL SSDs which cost over $1000 each.  Compare that to two velociraptors, and you have 5x the storage for less than half the cost.

Go the Velociraptors I say, in Raid0 or 5 .....  That is what I would do if I was spending the money again

... but its done, and the SSLs are good.

Archived