Solved my VAS Issue Flying over NA Gold Northern California by Turning off Wind Farms BGL File

sbclark

Hi,

I have both NA Gold Northern California and US KRDD Redding Muni airport installed on my system. I really like the KRDD airport, very well done and it has a long enough runway to accommodate a PMDG 737 NGX.

However, for the last week I have been attempting a number of flights from KSAN (San Diego) to KRDD in my PMDG 737 NGX, but unfortunately suffering an OOM about 10 miles from KRDD on approach. Also, at various points during descent, a number of pings were emanating from FSUIPC warning of a pending OOM situation. I run a pretty lean system (I follow PMDG’s recommendation in their 777 documentation to reduce potential VAS issues) and I reduced my autogen and other settings to pretty low settings. So by chance, I came upon the thread below of users experiencing frame rate degradation flying over parts of NA Gold Northern California, which recommended turning OFF the “wind farms†BGL file in one of the Orbx directories.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/74148-poor-performance-north-of-livingston-nca/

Turning off this module solved my issue, so I was able to successfully land at KRDD without the FSUIPC pinging or a crash. I posted this VAS issue separate from the frame rate issue as this might potentially cause OOM issues for those pilots who overfly NA Northern California. As was suggested by others in the thread above, reducing the impact of wind farms, or by providing a provision to turn them off might be something for the Orbx team to to investigate.

The 3rd part scenery software add-ons used by me during flight:

KSAN Latin VR
MegaScenery Southern Calif.
Genesis Mesh.
Ultimate Terrain

Bill Clark

Hi Bill,

Another temp fix for the OOM's is to fly autogen settings Normal.

The new P3Dv2.2.1 patch fixes the OOM problem. It's not available from the LM site yet, but should be coming out relatively soon.

My OOM problem disappeared as soon as I installed the beta version of the patch. I'm able to fly any of the NorCal routes into KSFO with no problems using Autogen Very Dense. Big improvement in performance.

When flying to Livermore from Half Moon Bay, I'll be humming along at 30 FPS (locked), but as soon as those wind farms on the Altamont Pass pop in, it cuts the frames down at least 40%. Maybe I'll turn them off as well. I'm sure if I stuck around in the area, I'd have OOM's as well.

This is a great post, very helpful. Yes, the windfarms off makes a difference. BTW, I found the windfarms file in the Ireland scenery and in the England scenery. I have turned those off as well just to be safe. I am assuming I can leave the salmon farms file in the Scotland scenery on. I don't think I'll be flying low enough to see what those fish are up to. 8)

Lee

Archived