Best Drive?

Guest boeingqa

Guest boeingqa

Guys l`m looking at building a new system for windows only and keeping my good system for fsx.

Do l A: install vista and install fsx on the same dir like c: or do l make another partion d: and install it on that..

Or B: Install vista on c: and put in another drive all together? Remember l wont install any programs on c: its only for

FSX all my other programs like mail, surfing, dvd making, photography will be on the other system.

Thx guys

Paul

For what you have outlined the simplest thing will likely be to employ a drive caddy and use 2 separate Hard drives.

Install your OS in "C:\" and partition the rest of the drive for your "D:\" Documents and "E:\" Programs as outlined below

for your general windows running boot

GHOST the already installed "C:\" to an image and then after you reboot using your rescue disk you can then restore this image to the second drive saving yourself some work and giving you 2 identical OS installations to start with.

To be perfectly honest I think you are making more work for your self than need be

I use a multiboot system and have protected myself slightly differently.

I use a 15 Gb Drive for "C:\" and have my OS on this and only my OS. I have a 1 Tb SATA for ALL programming and data.

I've edited the registry and make changes to reflect what is my default Temp directory, Program Files , Common files, locations . Using the Computer Management Panel configured my Burner to be "X:\" (in XP at least and presumably Vista as well drive letter's don't change) so I can swap HDD without stuffing up drive letter allocations.

This way I can employ a Drive Caddy to place an additional HDD in and out for imaging and backup as I HATE USB Drives as backup they are BLOODY SLOW .

Now a word from the wise DO NOT believe the Bull shit regarding installing programs in their default locations ie. where the installer or the OS WANTS to put it unless it is a system file or tool that MUST be on "C:\" .

I install things in a logical fashion ie  Racing sims go in "E:\Racing Sims\rFactor" "E:\Racing Sims\GTR2" -  System tools like O&O Defrag and Winzip etc go into "E:\System Tools\O&O"  "E:\System Tools\WinZip"  make it logical and easy to understand and you will be able to look after and maintain your system easily , oh also have a partition set aside for the backup image of your "C:\"

I would NOT bother with Vista at this point as it is likely that Windows 7 will be released this year and IMHO it is FAR superior to Vista.

Come onto team speak where I can explain if you like.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived