New Lancair IV giving Memory issues..

Redrox

G'day guys...

I bought the new ORBX Lancair IV-P, but as yet have not even been able to start the prop, as within a 30 seconds I get an XP warning bell, then a 'FS has to close as you have run out of Memory'.

This happens EVERY time I attempt to use this lovely A/C. 

My specs are:

XP Home

4Gig NVidia 9500 GT DDR3

3.1 GHtz Intel

4Gig RAM

I run FSX on a separate 500G HD, with FSPassengers, AccuFeel, FSUIPC, and any other addon I run on C.

Has anyone else had this issue, or is it just my 'old' system..?

FSS0268661

Cheers, 

Adrian

Hi Adrian, 

I too have had a couple of OOM failures with the IV-P, and I find this unique in that I have not had an aircraft-induced OOM error before. Terrain, yes - aircraft, no.

Wait a minute... If I enable all the "Flows" for Orbx airports between Cushman Meadows and Anacortes, I get a OOM with regular aircraft. Now I get OOM with Orbx aircraft with normal terrain... That's it! Orbx causes OOM!

I keed! But, I do have to say it was disconcerting to get OOM so fast on the IV-P. I only purchased it a few days ago, as I wanted something that seated four, was fast, and still fun to fly. And it is for this reason, Manta, that I disagree with your "treat it as a Heavy" statement. I wanted something to take me, the Wif-unit and a couple of friends up to Napa (I am based at KRHV, San Jose), Lake Tahoe or Dunsmuir to visit friends, but at a visibly appealing altitude. Kind of like a Lancair Legacy, but seating for four. To that effect, it fits the role perfectly. However, as the model is currently coded it is punishing on the memory load!

Okay, Manta - I am intrigued, if only because your avatar is so... intriguing.   :)

I have the Dukes, B200, C90, B55, and TBM, and if you are suggesting using those I agree. However, they are either twins or turbines, and I wanted a single engine, piston-powered aircraft. And while I only have two hours on the chronometer, the IVP seems like a good flyer. Perhaps not in the class of the RealAir Legacy (the benchmark for a really goo hand-flying aircraft, IMHO), but time will tell.

And Adrian, for whatever reason I have not had a recurring OOM. I think it may be dependent upon scenery, i.e., Orbx + Orbx. If I get the time I will try to isolate and report back.

John

OOM's aren't caused by just one thing.  OOM's are the accumulated memory load of your entire fsx setup on that particular flight,  so if your memory load is high from lots of scenery addons, and you aren't getting OOM's in default planes and then you switch to a plane that uses more memory, it may be enough to put it over the top.

some questions:

where are you flying?

How many ORBX scenery addons do you have installed?  (I'm not talking about just the ones you are flying over at that particular setting, there is a memory footprint of every single scenery addon, whether you are flying over it or not)

are you running ORBX in global Hybrid Mode?  (which activates ALL of your orbx lands at once)

any other high detail payware airports or photoscenery?  UTX?  Mesh? (again, not just the ones you are flying over)

any other stuff running?  weather, RAAS GSX AES,  FSDT's Coatl etc....

Hi guys,

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the Lancair.

The Lancair has been released for over 2 years now (thousands of copies) with very rare reports of oom's which are most commonly caused by newer add-ons taking up that little bit more resources. The Lancair has long since reached the end of it's development cycle as a sound add-on.

I recommend disabling your third party add-ons apart from sceneries and the Lancair for the moment and progressively re-enabling them if you don't have a problem.

Of course for a complex aircraft the best solution is always new hardware.

Hi Jared, 

This is actually pretty funny. My cursory web search for "lancair ivp" did not yield a hit on the FSX version, so like Adiran I thought it was new!

Wrote a pretty extensive review (giving it 8 out of 10) over on AVSIM on this "new" aircraft. Oh, well... ::)

John

It is primarily designed for fsx however works perfectly in p3d2 so that's why it is now listed in the p3d section at the fss as well as a few advantages commercially in listing it in that section. I believe the installer has been updated to install in all three but I could be wrong... If not I'll get ed to do that soon.

Archived