KBUR, KSMO, & Highway Elevation Issues near Los Angeles

I have Global, Vector, and FSG 2010 mesh installed. North of LA, and east of Burbank (KBUR), the Glendale Freeway (SR-2) seems to have some elevation issues. Very bumpy. The 210 Freeway has similar problems northwest of there. KBUR and KSMO have elevation issues too. I didn't photograph KSMO, but it has the same problem as KBUR.

This is in my real-life backyard, and I spend a lot of time flying here in FSX. These are also my most-used airports. Any chance you can look at this?

Thanks guys. Keep up the great work.

12871735274_7bb8653138_o.jpg

12871735444_fa45e9034f_o.jpg

12871735304_97501fbf44_o.jpg

12871734704_8c0597d7b0_o.jpg

12871387393_b43e27d48c_o.jpg

12871297485_23909295e1_o.jpg

12871296505_bd493839e0_o.jpg

It might be strictly a mesh issue. Try disabling FSG 2010 and see what happens. I have a feeling your airport plateau will be gone. It's a known issue with all mesh add-ons, although I think FSG has a utility that fixes those plateaus. As for the undulating road, someone smarter will have to chime in, although it is probably mesh related as well.

Todd

FS Global FTX DL version does not come with the ATM utility to fix elevated AP's.  I've heard that Pilot's have said that is the job of Vector to fix those elevation issues, hence the fix utility is no longer necessary?

The "plateau" issue remainsat KSMO and KBUR  (and many other LA area airports) after installing Vector 1.1.

I tried disabling AEC for KSMO and KBUR in the new Vector control panel. Nothing changed and both airports remained on a plateau.

I turned OFF FS Global 2010 FTX mesh and that fixed the airports. 

So... Is this a Vector issue? Mesh issue? Compatibility between the two? Is there a fix so I can use the FSG mesh and Vector together in Los Angeles?

I have no other addons in this area, btw.

The road issue is caused my mesh - VECTOR doesn't not control road elevations, FSX draws them on the terrain, whatever shape that has.

As for the elevation issues: this is due to the flat airport concept of FSX, nothing I can change about it. This airport has a slope in real world (see http://skyvector.com/airport/BUR/Bob-Hope-Airport - you can find up big differences in runway elevations). FSX can't display sloped airports which is why we had to take the average elevation and set that airport to that value.

Bernd

The "plateau" issue remainsat KSMO and KBUR (and many other LA area airports) after installing Vector 1.1.

I tried disabling AEC for KSMO and KBUR in the new Vector control panel. Nothing changed and both airports remained on a plateau.

I turned OFF FS Global 2010 FTX mesh and that fixed the airports.

Another user last night had the same issue with the same airport. I have to think that for some reason, Vector 1.1 is not fully functional in your installation - especially if you see no change between AEC flattening "on" or "off".

On my system, using Pilot's Ultimate terrain mesh, turning flattening "off" at KBUR puts it on a plateau identical to the photo at the top of this thread. Turning it "on", makes KBUR as flat as a pancake. It definitely works... but obviously does not on your system.

I'm just a Vector customer, and don't know enough about how the product does what it does to offer an educated guess as to why it's not working for you, but hopefully Bernd can offer some troubleshooting tips.

One other thing I did do after updating to Vector was to install the latest ORBX libraries, available as a download from the support page at the main FTX web site. The latest libraries are dated Feb 2nd, 2014.

The road issue is caused my mesh - VECTOR doesn't not control road elevations, FSX draws them on the terrain, whatever shape that has.

As for the elevation issues: this is due to the flat airport concept of FSX, nothing I can change about it. This airport has a slope in real world (see http://skyvector.com/airport/BUR/Bob-Hope-Airport - you can find up big differences in runway elevations). FSX can't display sloped airports which is why we had to take the average elevation and set that airport to that value.

Bernd

Thank you for the feedback. So, to be clear, the only solution is to disable the mesh? Or maybe edit the airport with ADE?

Thank you for the feedback. So, to be clear, the only solution is to disable the mesh? Or maybe edit the airport with ADE?

There is actually no solution to this at all, because FSX only supports flat airports. This airport has a slope in real life thst cannot be recreated in FSX, which is why you will always have some sort if mesh / airport elevation effect.

Bernd

There is actually no solution to this at all, because FSX only supports flat airports. This airport has a slope in real life thst cannot be recreated in FSX, which is why you will always have some sort if mesh / airport elevation effect.

Bernd

If I want airports without the plateau, I'll turn off the FSG mesh. Otherwise I'm SOL, apparently.

Okay, thanks. I consider this resolved.

• 1 year later...
On March 4, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Bernd Podhradsky said:

Bernd

Actually, Lukla from Aerosoft, gives you a very exacting sloped runway ...so it can be done.

Cheers,

Chas 

20 minutes ago, hesynergy said:

Actually, Lukla from Aerosoft, gives you a very exacting sloped runway ...so it can be done.

Not to mention the sloped CA21 Limberlost Ranch runway from Orbx's own KBLU triple-airport package.  As well as the sloped taxiways in the Orbx PAKT airport.

Sloped runways are technically possible, but you lose functionality if you do so. The FSX/P3D AI cannot utilise runways unless they are placed on one of those flat platforms. It seems that more people care about AI traffic than flat runways, so airports that sacrifice AI for elevation precision are a minority.

2 hours ago, paralipsis said:

Sloped runways are technically possible, but you lose functionality if you do so. The FSX/P3D AI cannot utilise runways unless they are placed on one of those flat platforms. It seems that more people care about AI traffic than flat runways, so airports that sacrifice AI for elevation precision are a minority.

...unfortunately...good point... I guess it would be a super headache to make AI aircraft land on whatever runway is presented.

… Personally I vote for accurate elevations… But I guess that's just me; I wonder what a poll would say…

Chas

Archived