Palm trees in Central Asia

mchirkov

Hi there,

using FTX Global I saw that it puts palm trees in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan all over the place in latitudes around N39-N44 degrees. 

That's plain wrong since living in region for over 40 years I have not seen a single palm tree around if it's not planted in a green house.

Can you fix this issue in the next update?

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I anticipate this will be a landclass issue, which determines the land-type and vegetation that displays in this area.

Unfortunately the base FSX landclass was pretty much one-colour suits all for that part of the world, so improved vegetation might suit one area but not another (most of default FSX looks like desert even when it is not!)

FTXGlobal Base does not include landclass, but the OpenLC products will be the route to refine what land-type is where.

Hi Ian,

I figure landclass is something that existed in FSX before FTX Global was invented. So the landclass didn't have the palm trees popping up here and there in our area. So that means the problem has to do with the FTX Global. What can be the solution then?

Thanks.

Mike

I figure landclass is something that existed in FSX before FTX Global was invented. So the landclass didn't have the palm trees popping up here and there in our area. So that means the problem has to do with the FTX Global. What can be the solution then?

Indeed Mike, without any Landclass there is no terrain at all, but I believe I addressed your question already:

....  Unfortunately the base FSX landclass was pretty much one-colour suits all for that part of the world, so improved vegetation might suit one area but not another (most of default FSX looks like desert even when it is not!)  ....

Put another way, if you make the texture in question 'desert', it will not work for other parts of the world where that landclass is specified.  It is, of course, always possible that a different texture would be more suitable for this landclass type, and no doubt the developers may look at that, but the key to representing the world is to preserve the necessary variation, whilst choosing textures that fit most, but probably not all, of the default landclass.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived