Airstrips/ALA's that dont exist.

martinc

Hiya folks,

Something to speculate on. How many airstrips/ALA's are there in Australia that "officially" dont exist in any documentation ERSA/AIP/Charts etc. To clarify, i'm talking about substantial all weather strips, not some patch of dirt that looks like a runway. The reason i raise this is that i've recently had a bit to do dealing with the Maralinga village in SW SA. And in addition to the buildings and infrastructure there is a pretty decent sized strip (2500X45) there, apparently available for use through DRET. And it set me to wondering if there were any other strips in Aus that "dont exist" from a pilots POV.

Probably '000's - I know that Mt House Station in the Kimberley's (WA) has 7 strips alone - maybe not all "all weather" but sure as hell good workable strips during the "Dry" and that is just one of hundreds of cattle/sheep stations that rely upon aircraft for mustering

....... and that is not even considering the '000's of "communities" scattered around the outback whereby all they have to do is bleat and '00's of '000's of taxpayer $$$ miraculously appear - a bit like the 700km of microwave towers (14 towers even marked on some topo maps) supplied to "service" a single phone box in the middle of The Great Sandy Desert at a deserted settlement of 9 houses (plus 2 x 40t freezers stocked full of food, full Solar Array of at least enough capacity for 20 houses, a 50,000gal tank and bore and full sewerage system and central meeting room large enough for 100 people at least 400km from nowhere between Kiwirrikurra and well 35 on the Canning Stock Route - it has an airstrip as well (or at least did have back in '96 before the vegetation and sand took it back)

Archived