painting planes

miloguy

G'day again guys, thanks for all the help latley

got a question on repainting planes, I did a lot of my planes with

fs repaint v2 but thats since given up the light of day.. so been trying to repaint

my new a2a Cessna now but having headaches with working with it..

Some times Ill get the plane just how I want it and then save it in the planes folder in fsx

but then when preview at  plane selection in fsx its all wierd and looks like the painting has flipped or something, very darn confusing, some times I use paint, some times photo shop.. the later does my head in, actually all of it right now..

what do you guys use.. 

thanks again..

mil

Sounds like the ole .dds flip-a-roo to me. Don't know how you're saving your textures but to go from .dds to .bmp (for editing etc.) you need to flip the image and alpha vertically, likewise going from .bmp to .dds -  same thing. In DXTBmp there's a menu item for "Flip image and alpha", if you use Imagetool it does it for you automatically.

I'd suggest PhotoShop and save your work as a .psd. Imagetool can open a .psd, you can use Image > Format and then choose DXT1 or DXT5 depending on your alpha channel (basically use DXT5 if you have alpha, DXT1 if not). If you want mips use Image > Create mip maps, then save it in the aircraft texture folder as "whatever.dds". The flipping gets handled automatically. The .psd remains intact with layers and everything so you can open it back up in PhotoShop for further editing.

Imagetool here if you don't have a copy already:

http://cat-tamer.com/flightsim/downloads/imagetool.zip

Jim

Archived