A "Clean" FSX installation.. So FSX performs HOW much better?I

Mac_Maddog88

I need this cleared up!

I hear an awful lot about having a clean FSX installation, etc..

What is defined as clean? Having quality payware addons with no freeware? Having never tweaked the FSX.cfg?

Yeah, this'll vary person to person.

How much impact does downloading a freeware, adding the effects, gauges, etc to FSX, then deleting it have on FSX?

As far as I know, downloading an addon and simply keeping it or deleting it in no way alters FSX's core files.

So what is with "Having a clean FSX install"? What about the install makes it clean?

I don't want somebody to beat this to death, would just like to hear what others think regarding the subject of a clean FSX install.

Mac

When I built the new computer I followed the clean install directive. To me this meant leave out the stuff that I had experimented with previously and only go with what I know works. That can be freeware or pay ware.

I figured I would eliminate all potential conflicts using this approach.

When I want to evaluate product performance with a clean slate, I work from a fresh system boot with clean temp files. I see best overall performance when the entire system is dedicated to the sim. I run a ton of stuff simultaneously in both FSX and P3DV2, so I'm not suggesting vanilla setup, just keeping it tidy.

You're right about moving effects and gauges in or out. These are harmless if you're careful.

Same for the .cfg files. Treat them right and they won't let you down. Tweaks are OK, just keep track of what has been done in case you need to adjust. Keep a backup. Keep an eye on your registries...that's where problems can pop up too.

That being said the system is running at optimum temp and fan speeds etc. without excessive tweaking required.

Hope that helps.

Archived