Freeware Aiport Pack 6 - Hawaii - Kapalua-West elevation issue

malibu43

First of all, I want to thank Neil for his terrific freeware airport packs!  I'm especially excited about the latest from Hawaii since it's one of my favorite place to fly (virtually).

However, I noticed that there are some elevation/flattening issues at Kapalua-West with my FSG 10m Hawaii mesh installed.

2014-1-1_14-59-10-245_zpsaa3e482e.png

Parts of the parking lots extend beyond the flattened area and drop off a small cliff.  This issue isn't present using the default mesh, and there is no issue with the stock airport and the FSG 10m mesh (I'm assuming because of the corrected airports that come with the mesh).

I saw in another thread that these airports are designed to be used with default mesh.  However, that is a little confusing or conflicting from an end-user standpoint since it is also being recommended/required that we use a 3rd party mesh with Vector.

I don't think 3rd party mesh for the USA was ever required or recommeded for any of these USA freeware fields- the default is already 38m and pretty accurate.

Just today there is a thread by flapsdown showing how accurate default USA mesh can be:

The Yinyang of chasing better Colorado terrain - aka getting "FSG/FTX Meshed"... - General Discussion - FTX Community and Support Forums

Hi Malibu,

Imagine how many versions of my airports I would need to do to satisfy all versions of mesh that are available for FSX today.  I've chosen to stay with stock FSX mesh and airport elevations as that's what the majority of users of my airports will be using.  If I'm not mistaken Pilots will be coming out with "leveling" files for their new mesh, hopefully back pretty much to stock FSX elevations.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Cheers, Neil

I don't think 3rd party mesh for the USA was ever required or recommeded for any of these USA freeware fields- the default is already 38m and pretty accurate.

Just today there is a thread by flapsdown showing how accurate default USA mesh can be:

The Yinyang of chasing better Colorado terrain - aka getting "FSG/FTX Meshed"... - General Discussion - FTX Community and Support Forums

It was not required or recommended for the airports, but it is being recommended/required for Vector.  And a lot of people will probably be using both the freeware airports and Vector.

Hi Malibu,

Imagine how many versions of my airports I would need to do to satisfy all versions of mesh that are available for FSX today.  I've chosen to stay with stock FSX mesh and airport elevations as that's what the majority of users of my airports will be using.  If I'm not mistaken Pilots will be coming out with "leveling" files for their new mesh, hopefully back pretty much to stock FSX elevations.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Cheers, Neil

I totally understand Neil.  I just wanted to make sure you are aware of it, and also wanted to point out that it may be something that comes up quite often if people are buying mesh products to accompany Vector.

I will probably just deactivate my FSG Mesh since I'd rather have your airports than the slightly higher res mesh.   :D

Keep in mind here that Kapalua airport is a tough example as it's built onto the side of very sloped mountain. The parking lot irl as in the screen shot is about 7-9 feet below the terminal which is only 20-40 feet away. Have a good look on Google Earth and you can see that the airport is actually built up on a plateau.

I'm not sure, but i use the "World Mesh" (120).

I think the World Mesh may not actually include Hawaii (if it counts as part of North America).  Even if it does, it's still 38m resolution, which is the same as default.  I'm using the Hawaii/Alaska mesh which is 10m resolution.

Archived