PAJN AND Ditches!

wingclip

Hi Folks,

I installed SAK, the SAK patch, and PAJN, (followed by the latest Library offered), last night and as you can see, this isn't my first FTX scenery install but that doesn't mean I can't screw up somehow every now and then.

The problem is the Juneau Airport opened and has 10' trenches and I know I've had an airport or two install like this before but it usually was due to a scenery library location.

I checked the way it was ‘stepped out’ in the FSX Library and PAJN IS above the SAK areas. In fact, PAJN is listed among the other FTX airports in my installations and they're all above the "main" FTX installations.

I moved PAJN around a few places trying to invoke a change that I could then reason out but that didn't do anything. I'm about to reinstall PAJN and the Library to see if maybe that will straighten things out but I thought I'd post this help request in case my reinstallation doesn't work.

Of course, I'll post the results of that attempt and while I try this, perhaps you may see some other possible culprit that causes the trenching.

FYI: All of the initial installations I did last night went without a problem. BEFORE I started the installations of SAK and PAJN, I installed the PNW 006 patch. However, I did NOT install the library update patch until the very end of all the other installations.

Thank You, Rich

Hi Rich, trenches around airports are usually the case of AI programs having an APX for that airport that conflicts with the elevation data for the airport. The usual fix for this is to trun off the APX file of your AI program fr that particular airport, you can do this by running a search of your FSX install directory for any file containing "pajn" then any result that is returned OUTSIDE of the ORBX folder you need to rename to ".off" this should resolve your trenches issue. let us know how you get on.

Ah, Thank You Russ!! I'm presently restarting my computer after reinstalling PNW Patch 006, PAJN, and the Library, (in that order). What you're saying makes sence because I did recently install Traffic 360.

So I only need to be sure I understand where to search; you said in the FSX install directory and is that another way of saying the FSX root folder? Should I search in the FSX root folders "Scenery" folder as well?

If I recall correctly, the AI Traffic is in the FSX Root folder>Scenery>World>Scenery location, (I may have one "Scenery" too many there but you see where I'm going).

I have an SSD for my O/S but FSX is installed on a dedicated 1TB, HDD and it takes a few minutes to 'load-up' with all of my add-on info when I open FSX for the first time after rebooting the computer, (after that, it loads up pretty quick).

So I'm going to get right back to this topic in a moment to check your reply regarding the "FS Install Directory", (sorry, I never heard it put that way before).

Thanks again, Rich

Yep it's the root folder of your FS install, just search it and it will pull out any references to "paen" files, they will end in a ".bgl" simply change them to ".off" just make sure to leave alone all the "paen" files found in the ORBX folder.

Ok Russ, I guess I'm not following what you mean by "APX", (did you mean AFX), and you kind of went beyond the VERY basic understanding I have of AI programs in general.

That said, I typed "pajn" in the search box for the FSX Root folder and A LOT came up for PAJN but it all seemed to point to the ORBX folder EXCEPT some files referring to "utAKCities", (Scenery/UTakCities/Scenery), and some UTXPAJN.AP."BGL" files located in Scenery/world/scenery PAJN.

Also, I found something called "AFX.PAJN.BGL" referring to FSX/Just Flight/Traffic 360/Airport Facilities/Scenery.

I don't want to 'turn off' the wrong thing and of course, I DO want AI traffic in and around PAJN so could you point me to the most likely folder that you suspect?

Also, will turning off any of the files you're speaking about turn off all the AI traffic too?

Rich

Yep it's the root folder of your FS install, just search it and it will pull out any references to "paen" files, they will end in a ".bgl" simply change them to ".off" just make sure to leave alone all the "paen" files found in the ORBX folder.

I was writing/posting the reply just as you were apparently doing the same, but to be clear, you meant PAJN not "paen", right? 

Ok Russ, I guess I'm not following what you mean by "APX", (did you mean AFX), and you kind of went beyond the VERY basic understanding I have of AI programs in general.

That said, I typed "pajn" in the search box for the FSX Root folder and A LOT came up for PAJN but it all seemed to point to the ORBX folder EXCEPT some files referring to "utAKCities", (Scenery/UTakCities/Scenery), and some UTXPAJN.AP."BGL" files located in Scenery/world/scenery PAJN.

Also, I found something called "AFX.PAJN.BGL" referring to FSX/Just Flight/Traffic 360/Airport Facilities/Scenery.

I don't want to 'turn off' the wrong thing and of course, I DO want AI traffic in and around PAJN so could you point me to the most likely folder that you suspect?

Also, will turning off any of the files you're speaking about turn off all the AI traffic too?

Rich

I was writing/posting the reply just as you were apparently doing the same, but to be clear, you meant PAJN not "paen", right? 

Hi Rich,you have to rename this file:       Also, I found something called "AFX.PAJN.BGL" referring to FSX/Just Flight/Traffic 360/Airport Facilities/Scenery. to AFX.PAJN.BGL.OFF.

This will fix the problem. I have Just Flight TrafficX for a long time and did this for lot of airfields in ORBX

Peter

Please don't give up on me now!! All I need to know is if the ".OFF" suffix will also turn off all AI Traffic in Juneau? I don't want to make that change until I know this and frankly, the AFX traffic files don't seem to be a problem at any of the other airstrips I have so I really need to make sure I know what is going to happen.

As it is, it seems that if I do use ".off" on that file, it will cut out all AI traffic and so I need to see if there's an alternate method. If you're wondering why I don't just make the edit and then check, it's because it takes a while for all the AI traffic to 'build' and it also depends on the time of day and airport location as to how much traffic will build and how fast as well.

In other words, it would take a while for me to know for sure. While I wait hopefully for a reply, I'll check and double check the other airports/strips I have by FTX and see if they ARE acting that way as well. For all I know, it may be as simple as reinstalling the TRAFFIC 360 program after any FTX installation, which is what I'm hoping for to be honest.

Rich

Rich, dont panic... turning off an AI programs specific airport AI file will not affect AI at that airport if you own the Orbx version of that airport because each Orbx airport comes with all the relevant AI 'plumbing' needed for AI aircraft to make proper use of it.

Thank you Russ! That's good news! I'm refreshing my memory of what the Traffic 360 Manual says and I noted right away that the "Update Existing" option should be used EVERYTIME a new airport or airport scenery is installed.

So I did that and then I continued to read about various ways I can alter and/or exclude airports as well as a way to make very detailed changes to the Traffic 360 AI aircraft using their TCC tool and FSX SDK.

Anyway, my point is that I appear to have several other options if the .OFF suffix changed things in a way I didn't want. But your reply is good enough for me. I was just worried that I'd wind up with an airport that looked "dead" and that's the reason for my concern.

Please consider the matter resolved and thanks again to all!

Have a Happy New Year

Rich

WHOOPS! Russ are you still there?

I know I said consider the matter resolved but that was because I assumed that adding ".OFF" would fix the Trench problem in Juneau. Unfortunately it didn't!

I'm about to run another search for any additional PANJ files other than the Traffic 360 one but remember, I also found PANJ files by UTX that you never addressed when I asked about them.

I'm sure I shouldn't mess with the UTX files UNLESS specifically told to because I'm afraid I can screw up a lot if I removed the wrong ones... Could they be the problem?

I'll PM you if you don't reply in an hour or so because you may have closed this Topic in your notes and therefore not see this post.

Thanks, Rich

I found this FTX file "outside of the ORBX folder": ADE_FTX_SAK_PAJN elevation_adjustment.BGL in the scenery/world/scenery folder with two UTX files as shown: UTX_PAJN_ALK.BGL and UTX_PAJN_AP.BGL. 

It seems that the FTX "elevation" file has to do with... well, elevation. Therefore I don't think I should turn that one off. I should also tell you that I'm NOT having a problem with any other payware or freeware Alaskan or Canadian scenery from anyone including FTX.

Is it possible that the SAK and/or the PAJN downloads were corrupt in the download process and now causing this? 

I would think there would have been some indication in the installation process but maybe not. 

I used a download manager like I always do, (IDM), but before I remove and install all this over again, I want to hear what you think first.

Thanks, Rich

OK Folks, First; I want you to know that I'm absolutely aware of the holiday and am grateful that you even answered my first post let alone the follow-up posts I did.

I had no expectations that I would or should have received a reply today and any other time, FTX has always answered very quickly. So let it be known that I'm not the least surprised or upset for not receiving a reply to the remaining posts once I found that turning 'OFF' the AI BGL file didn't work.

The FIX:

In fact, it was the two BGL files I found in the Scenery/World/Scenery folder, (UTX_PAJN_ALK.BGL and UTX_PAJN_AP.BGL). They appeared to be out of place because I could find no others like them in the folder that related to any of my other FTX payware add-on airports.

So I applied the ".OFF" suffix to them and that got rid of the Trenches :smile: . Then I turned the Traffic 360 BGL file back on and did not have any trenches as a result so it didn't seem to play a part.

Sooo, I can't say that this is the "Correct Fix" for the Trenches I had in PAJN, and if I find that the two UTX files are supposed to be there in that folder and turned 'On', I guess I'll have to figure that the download of SAK and/or PAJN was corrupted and I'll try a new download when I have time :unsure: .

But at this time, I see no problems with what I did to fix the trench problem in PAJN and recommend it to anyone who may have a similar problem and needs a way to fix it.

Russ; I left your reply to my concern about the AI Traffic as a "Liked" reply because that certainly helped with the decisions.

I can't deny that you got me to look in the general area to find the problem at the very least Russ, so thanks for that and your time on this ^_^ !

Rich

It is generally always a case that a third party program contains a bgl file that will conflict with another scenry product if they both contain conflicting elevation data, this is most commonly the case with AI programs but as you have found can also come from other products too. It's always worth running a search and ".off"-ing any conflicting files from another vendor. Orbx airports always (unless otherwise stated) provide AI support and are always mesh synced with their respective FTX regions so only a conflict with another product will cause issues such as these, it's just a case of process of elimination.

Glad it's sorted Rich.

Archived