I think as I read more I begin to understand this: FTX Global Vector operates on the mesh available. If an airport is artificially elevated in the original FSX mesh, due to the need for it to be geometrically flat, it'll affect the overall elevation within the area of the mesh, and cause these kinds of anomalies.

It looks like FS Global 2010 for example has a tool to correct such elevation anomalies, along with introduction of more accurate mesh; but it can't be expected that any developers will be able to do this for all 55,000+ airports in the FSX world.

So, oh well; in for a penny, in for a pound! It's a more daunting proposition to purchase both a big mesh package and FTX Global Vector, but you only really need mesh for areas you care about; it's probably better to concentrate and find the right mesh for your preferences, and then learn how to do any necessary flattening around built-in FSX airports that are of concern to you.

Makes me more amazed (and grateful!) for all the work that has gone into the ORBX region and airport scenery, since they're doing the whole layer cake. :)

We'll all figure it out over time, I'm confident.

Archived