Considering an Upgrade

pphibbs

Hi Guys,

I currently have a system with the following:

Core2Duo 3.0ghz

8800GTX Graphics 784meg

4gig RAM (Not all useable due to 32bit OS)

WinXP

I'm thinking of replacing the CPU with a Core2Quad processor.

Price on the 3ghz was around $900. and $550 for a 2.86ghz. Can anyone advise if it's worth even looking at the 3ghz if a lower one will allow the detail in FTX with decent fps?

Appreciate you feedback.

Gigahertz are everything!

The extra cores will help the flight load slightly faster, and get used to draw autogen in flight but have little effect on simulation smoothness. If you turn down the autogen I suspect you'll barely see the difference. however the extra cores can be used to handle other tings like the weather software (ASA, REX) etc.

Too make a large difference in smoothness you need CPU and Memory Bandwidth GRUNT.

you can get that By overclocking the cheap quad's or duals. I see a lot of folks are getting the new 8400 dual's to 4Ghz fairly easily. I suspect this would be a cheap upgrade possibly. but to solve the memory bandwidth issue you'll need the i7 cores and lot's of cash!!

What about an option to run two dual core processors on a common motherboard as one famous member here has with his Quad core machine?  Is this a viable option.  I have an older dual core processor, and I was wondering if I just got a dual processor board with all my existing hardware and one extra processor, is that a viable option for a cheap upgrade?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Don't know about that one Maxter, (I have no doubt that same will tell me in no uncertain terms if I'm wrong  :) ), but the only dual processor boards I know of for Intel CPU's are server class boards which take Xeon class CPU's and require ECC memory.

So to go the route you propose is gonna cost you for CPU's, the board an memory....

Don't know about that one Maxter, (I have no doubt that same will tell me in no uncertain terms if I'm wrong  :) ), but the only dual processor boards I know of for Intel CPU's are server class boards which take Xeon class CPU's and require ECC memory.

So to go the route you propose is gonna cost you for CPU's, the board an memory....

OH OK, thanks Geoffman for that info.  I'm not a techies behind, so I probably embarrassed myself with the question.  Oh well, I guess I will have to wait for a while to upgrade then.

Cheers and thanks again,

Archived