Memory loss with FSX

mike20

Hi all wonder if anyone can help I have a fairly  high end computer intel dual core e8500 with 3 gig of kingston ram 3 sata 200 gig hard drives msi diamond MB nvidea 8800GT vid card on widows XP pro  I have all the FTX australia installed Gold Blue Red Green  FSX is running on its own drive but now when I run FSX after about 30mins into a flight I get dumped to the desktop with the message you have run out of available memory I am not a computer techie so could anyone help me as to whats causing this before I upgraded I ran an AMD 5000+ with 4 gig of ram same drive setup and xp pro and I could fly for hours without any problems so what could have changed apart from the old one having 4 gig of ram and the new one has only 3 gig  I might add it only does this with FSX all other games are not afected thanks for any help you can give kind regards Mike 

ps I reposted this from the general forum as no one seems to be able to help so I thought I would try the techie forum thanks regards Mike

did you set a "fixed" size for the pagefile Mike ?

I'd advice to set that to 3072 for minimum and also 3072 for maximum

Also cleaning out your pagefile would hurt ;D

Set pagefile to ZERO or no page file, restart the puter

DEFRAG the whole thing

restart the puter again

Set pagefile to the size as mentioned above.

restart the thing again, I hear you it get's annoying all those restarts.

Now have fun and do a lil testflight with fsX

let me know how you faired ;)

Hi Mike and fellow West Ozzie!

Have you considered faulty RAM?  I know you said it only happens with FSX but it wouldn't hurt to run something like Memtest.  It's free and will rule out one possible cause.  How long have you had the upgraded system?  Is there something you've added recently that might be the culprit?  Do you disable AV etc. before running FSX.  Many, many question but oh so many possible causes!!

Good luck,

Ken.

Make sure you are running service pack 2 or acceleration for FSX. Then you will need to apply the OOM fix for applications to access more than 2Gig of contiguous memory.

here is a link to explain how to do this. it is just a quick mod to your boot ini file. http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1208959973#3

Hi many thanks to Uhu Ken and Gurdy for your help I did as you all said and then took took the PC12 for a flight and after 2 and a half hours flying it was still going with no sign of a crash so whatever it was your help certainly fixed it so once again many many thanks for all your help now I can go and enjoy FTX Red  kind regards to you all Mike  :)

Hi many thanks to Uhu Ken and Gurdy for your help I did as you all said and then took took the PC12 for a flight and after 2 and a half hours flying it was still going with no sign of a crash so whatever it was your help certainly fixed it so once again many many thanks for all your help now I can go and enjoy FTX Red  kind regards to you all Mike  :)

Good to hear mate.  Feel like a coffee next week?  I'll drive down,

Cheers,

Archived