Installing new library has killed FSX

KelB

Hi

I have just installed the new library 131215 and now FSX does not work.

I have been using OrbX scenery for a long time and have done all the previous library and region updates without issues as they came out.

The problem seems to be related to my use of a SSD drive redirected by a Symbolic Link.

All my FSC software is on my X SSD drive and a symbolic link associates it with the original C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ folder. In order for the symbolic link to work the original folder must be empty.

It appears as if the latest library update has created a number of subfolders - Effects, ORBX, Scenery, Sound and Weather in the original folder rather than following the symbolic link. As a result none of the software on the X drive can be found.

What should I do?

1. Should I move the folders to the X drive merging and overwriting as necessary and then try to recreate the symbolic link?

2. Or should i try to copy my X drive back to the orginal folder (if probably won't will fit now)

How can I prevent this happening again with future updates?

Better merge the ORBX folder the new library has created (most likely in the FSX directory) with the one the symbolic link was pointing to and recreate the symbolic link. That was how I fixed it.

Thanks Darem. Done that, everything seems OK now.

Perhaps I ought to try to point the library installer to the X drive in the future if possible.

Regards

Kelvin

Archived