to sli or to not sli

skelly

Hello: just wondering a few questions for anyone who has knowledge of sli two video cards

I have a single evga gtx 670 ftw card currently and I have 3 32inch monitors for my main screen running off that card

my mobo is sli capable and I am thinking of adding a second graphics card to complete the sli

concerns

1) is it worth the upgrade  $500 cdn

2) is there much trouble shooting to get this to work with fsx

3) do both cards have to be identical ie:evga gtx 670ftw or can one be just a normal gtx670

I realize that fsx does not support sli however I have been reading that it does make a notable difference when using multiple monitors the question is

is it enough difference to justify the expense

Thankyou for your reply

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptaylor/archive/2007/03/03/fsx-more-on-sli-and-multi-core.aspx

I have 2 x GTX 580 SLI using Th2GO at 5040 x 1050 resolution.  Minimum fps is higher with SLI.

My video cards are not identical - ASUS 782 MHz and Gigabyte 795 MHz.  SLI runs at the lowest of the two.

It would be difficult to justify the expense for FSX.  However, the new Prepar3d V2 would make a GPU upgrade more interesting.  I would rather have a single GTX 780 than two older cards in SLI.

There were a few recent threads at AVSim.com on this and the conclusions were that both FSX and P3d 1.4 take advantage of SLI. However, neither is optimized for SLI, so the improvements in performance that were reported were not worth the expense of buying a second video card. My personal experience was that when I added a 2nd GTX 580, I got about a 15-20% improvement in frame rates. That was far less that I got when I upgraded to one GTX 680.

Now if the question is about P3d2, Lockheed Martin has already stated that it too is not optimized for SLI, but it will be in a future update. I have not yet seen anyone post benchmarks with P3d2 in SLI.

Archived