Extraction/Un-wrapping issues for FTX NA Blue Southern Alaska

HARDCUB

Hello Friends,

I purchased the FTX NA Blue Southern Alaska scenery in July 2013, but I have never been able to install it yet due to repeated extraction issues (all the same issue). I have spent many, many hours downloading the SAK files from the different download web links offered by the Flightsim store with no success.  I even finally purchased a separate Download Manager (GetRight) for an extra $20.00USD yesterday that the Flightsim store recommended buying to assist in a positive & successful download.  Still no luck.  Every single download continues to fail during the un-wrapping/extraction process with the same error message each time.   The following are my details which I hope will help someone assist me in figuring this out.

Order #FSS0220256
Order Date: Tuesday 09 July, 2013
Product: Orbx - FTX: NA Blue Southern Alaska

• My Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS is located on C:\.
  • My FSX flightsimulator is located on my D:\ ,which currently has 267GB of free space remaining for use. (FSX Gold-Edition Deluxe + SP2 Accel)
  • I have the latest Orbx Libraries file installed (File No. 131027 )
  • I have switched the FSX Central to the default FSX scenery as instructed prior to installation attempts. (which is now shown as FTXGlobal icon for the native FSX scenery because of the recent download and install of the Iceland Demo I think?)
  • I have turned OFF my Avast Antivirus software prior to every SAK installation attempt.
  • I have shut down as many programs in the Windows7 background as I can prior to SAK installation attempts.

• I have written (2) emails since July 2013 directly to the Flightsim Store website using their 'contact us' link asking for help and have had no response @ all. I gave them all of my account/order information.

• I continue to get this message>  Extract: error writing to file OrbxFTXNASouthernAlaska100.exe

I have screenshots which show the various screens of the extraction process which ends with the error message, but I cannot figure how to post them here or attach them.  They are located on my hard drive.

I don't know what other course of action to take on this. Any advice or help that can be given would be greatly appreciated.
~Glenn Mullis

Hi Glenn, first thing, have you checked the file size in bytes of the zip file that you downloaded and compared the value with that shown on the download page? If they match you should then see if the MD5 checksum matches using the value on the download page and a tool called WinMD5.

If either the byte count it MD5 do not match then the file has not been successfully downloaded and will need to be downloaded again. Alternatively we can deliver it to you on disk with the purchase of a Digital Media Service.

Thank you so much Adrian for your assistance. 

I downloaded the suggested file (WinMD5) and checked the download values.  The MD5 values do not match between the actual files and the website MD5 values listed on the download webpage.  I have lost count of how many times I have downloaded the Alaska files already, so I guess at this point I will just need to spend more money to get this product to work.  Hopefully this last method of buying it on DVD-copy will prove workable.

Thank you again so much for your help. have a great day my friend! ~Glenn

:) I know. I did delete it.  And then I would download the file again from one of the different server options listed on the Flightsim Store webpage of download links.  I have downloaded the Alaska file from every single link option with the same results. It has been frustrating. Sorry to be so negative sounding.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:  A few weeks ago I ordered the SAK scenery on Digital-Media format for $9.00 from the Flightsim Store.  Just waiting on the disc to arrive.  When it does, I will update you all on what happens. Hopefully, this will take care of everything. :) Keeping fingers crossed. ~Glenn

As stated above, after months of wasted downloads and the recent additional $20.00 purchase of a 'FlightSim Store recommended' Download Manager program, I was reduced to spending more money on this effort to get the Alaska scenery installed, and I had finally purchased the $9.00 Digital-Media Disc option from the FlightSim Store as a last resort.  This afternoon (Tuesday Dec. 17th, 2013) it arrived in the post.  I was excited to get it installed, but unfortunately the 'real-world' had other plans for my time, and so it is now after midnight before I could try it.

I restarted my system.  I turned off all running programs, and turned off my Avast Antivirus software too.  I inserted the DVD into the drive bay... and the unwrapping process began.

:-:-[  So... here is the results once again. ::)

kli3.jpg

834o.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas what to do at this point???  I am just completely stumped. ~Glenn

~~  I also want to say this too... Thank You for the DVD disc,

and for the efforts of each person who has tried to help me with this strange issue.

I really appreciate it very much! ~~

Hi Glen,

Ouch!

OK...what happens is the FSS wrapper upzips the files into your 'Temp' folder first before running the actual FTX installer, so the issue looks to be with that unwrapping process, perhaps it is getting hung up on a past attempt

The location of the temp folder is here: C:\Users\[Your user name]\AppData\Local\Temp

I suggest looking for the most recent folder, i.e with the date of your last attempt at installing... and delete it

Then try running the installer again :ph34r:

Also make sure you have at least 3 x times the size of the installer in free space on your operating system drive: C... for SAK this is roughly 11GB

:D My friends... I am happy to report that these last two ideas by Tim and Adrian have saved the day!!!

I was not aware of the wrapper using the C:\temp folder prior to the installation process.  Everything appears to be okay now, and the SAK Alaska scenery has been installed at last! 

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!   your assistance and help has been much appreciated, and I am so happy to finally have this scenery installed. ~Glenn

@Adrian: The available C:\ disk space was approx. 4GB, but I cleaned it up using the Windows7 utility, and everything appears to be okay now.

Archived