Iceland demo (Off) Interference in the Swiss Alps.

Leclercq_A

Hi,

I'just try the Iceland demo (off) on FSX and P3D2.

After install, some textures error are visible in Swizerland: A clear texture appears in the wrong places. (befor the install all was correct)

No other product is installed. (no Ultimate Terrain, no other Landclass, no other texture) Just a global mesh.

Same issue in FSX and P3D2

Here some pictures

mini_861091YAFSS427.jpg

mini_695025YAFSS428.jpg

mini_547054YAFSS425.jpg

Something to do?

Regards

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

After installing the Iceland OFF demo (patched to 1.10) and setting to GLOBAL I have odd spots of water textures in place of rock all over the Faroe Islands.
For example, fly west out of Vagar airport and look at the cliffs running down to the fjord near the village of Sørvágur. It's a real eyesore and  I feel sorry for the locals   :-)
I've also noticed odd textures and water on a mountainside south of Geneva just over the French border.

I have PNW installed (my only other ORBX region at the moment) and noticed that when I accidently left FTX Central set to North America, the texture problems in the Faroe islands went away.

Knowing that refreshes of terrain.cfg and lclookup.bgl are often suggested for terrain issues, I had a look at how these files where being used by ORBX.

There appears to be a single version of terrain.cfg that ORBX uses for my two ORBX areas (PNW and Iceland). Leaving FSX central set to GLOBAL and swapping the ORBX terrain.cfg out for a backed up version of the original FSX terrain.cfg makes no difference to the problem textures in the Faroes (they persist). Resetting FSX Central to GLOBAL, allowing it to now grab the ORBX version of terrain.cfg again makes no difference (problem persists).

lclookup.bgl is a different kettle of fish however. There are 2 separate version of this file used by my two ORBX areas. I also have the original FSX version from a backup as well. Again with FSX central set to GLOBAL, manually placing and using the original FSX version of lclookup.bgl or the PNW version of lclookup.bgl makes the texture problems go away. using the Iceland version of  lclookup.bgl makes the problems come back.
So making that SINGLE change causes the texture problem to manifest, suggesting to me that the iceland 1.10 lclookup.bgl file is causing the problems.

I know that mixing and matching like this is not in accordance with normal ORBX operation, but remember that this was done for investigation purposes only and I am not looking at an ORBX area here, but a standard FSX area (Faroe Islands) that I found broken AFTER Iceland installation. 

I've seen people on other forums reporting water textures on mountainsides after ORBX Iceland installation as well.

I intend to raise a separate thread with pictures for this shortly (I'm away from my FSX PC at the moment) and apologise to the OP for butting into this thread.
This might be a different problem to what the OP is reporting, but I can't help thinking that an investigation of lclookup.bgl might be useful for both.

I'm impressed by the look of the Iceland demo and am seriously thinking about getting ORBX global and vector, but this issue has stayed my hand for the moment and I'd like some reassurance that these texture issues have been recognised and scheduled for a fix first.

Thank you for you time, 
Dave.

Something else I've just discovered. The texture corruption only happens during Winter, Spring and Fall, but not Summer.
The corrupted textures also flick between other out of place textures as you approach them. The dark blue cliffs in my screenshot below, change in places between various ground textures and actual animated water as you fly towards them.

This is what the Faroe Islands look like when the problem shows (As seen in Winter, Spring and Fall):

WithTextureProblem.jpg

And here is what it should look like (as seen in Summer):

WithoutTextureProblem.jpg

Archived